Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 home security.How to mod for hunting??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 04:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default tactical skeet shooting

Well, I am not the expert but my mossy 500 does ok shooting skeets. Pretty fun although again if its too far out I have a hard time hitting them. From what I understand our guns would be like shooting a gun with a big gulp cup on the end. The pellets spread out pretty far when shooting a far object. You put another "choke tube" on the end of shotguns that is narrower and maybe slightly smaller than the previous end (like a kiddie size cup) and it makes the shot pattern tighter and therefore can reach further targets without spreading out. Its basically a big or small funnel to shoot out of. Our guns don't have one that can be screwed on the end and interchanged like some. Its not concerned with farther away targets. You can buy another barrel that has inter-changable ends (chokes) and use the gun for whatever you want.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succinct View Post
Hey man, I appreciate your asking the question. I am learning by lurking here, but to be honest I have no idea what-the-heck a choke or choke tube is, other than an extra throttling on my carbureted gas-engined lawn machines to make them run until they are warmed up....

I have a Mossy 500 tactical 12G with pistol grip and 18" barrel, and it has occurred to me that it might be fun to skeet shoot with it some too. But I have no idea how a barrel of different length could be retrofitted. It's not like the original barrel is just screwed on, is it?
I made a video, not even an hour ago, on shotgun chokes. If interested, I'll PM you the link and you can check it out. I show my hunting barrel and I unscrew my choke.

S.S.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I went the other way; i bought an ugly old Mossy on the way to go dove hunting back in '96. It was the old style without interchangable chokes; it came with the 28" modified choke barrel. I kept that for any hunting duty it might see, but i picked up a 18.8" barrel at a recent gun show for better HD duty & a bit less weight. I've also switched out the wood furniture with some inexpensive plastic bits, the buttstock has a built-in pistol grip.

Perhaps, if you have the shorty barrel & want a full length barrel, you could find someone who thinks they no longer need their long barrel?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #14

Default Another question

Ok, I just got off the phone with a gunsmith who told me I can't switch out the barrel without switching out the magazine tube. Is that true. Its an 8 shot.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes he's correct. The lug where the barrel attaches to the mag tube is further out on your barrel & at the end of the mag tube. I didn't realize you had the extended mag tube. You have 2 choices-you can have your existing barrel reamed & threaded for interchangable mag tubes, or you could buy the appropriate barrel you want, and have the lug relocated. I would suggest having the barrel reamed/threaded for choke tubes. That way you can have any choke you desire with a simple tube change.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 AM   #16

Default good suggestion on reaming

I think I'll look into that tomorrow. Heck, if I can find a reamer I'll just do it myself. Can't be that hard and I've reamed a few motorcycle parts in the past. Just need to find out what size.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder92 View Post
Ok, I just got off the phone with a gunsmith who told me I can't switch out the barrel without switching out the magazine tube. Is that true. Its an 8 shot.
Actually, it probably is'nt true.
I have a mossberg 500a, 8 shot, came with an 18 inch barrel.
I got a 28'' barrel with a few different chokes.
Very easy to change.
You have to call the mossberg people to get it. Cost me just under a hundred dollars.
The phone number to call is 800-363-3555

Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #18

Default hey thanks.

Just called them and they quoted me $133 plus shipping for either the 20in or 28in like yours. Guess price went up. Can't believe its this hard and expensive to get this done. I'll check into tapping it today and then most likely just order from mossberg like you did. That gun just got more expensive but also more fun thanks to all for the help. Think mossberg needs to make this easier for people to figure out on their website.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #19

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Glad to help!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #20
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Hey man, I appreciate your asking the question. I am learning by lurking here, but to be honest I have no idea what-the-heck a choke or choke tube is, other than an extra throttling on my carbureted gas-engined lawn machines to make them run until they are warmed up....
Google is your friend. Basically, a choke tightens the group on shot by reducing the opening at the end of the barrel. Choke tubes are removable and different types of chokes are appropriate for different applications.

Don't use slugs with a choke.

Quote:
I have a Mossy 500 tactical 12G with pistol grip and 18" barrel, and it has occurred to me that it might be fun to skeet shoot with it some too. But I have no idea how a barrel of different length could be retrofitted. It's not like the original barrel is just screwed on, is it?
Did it come with a manual?

Unscrew the magazine tube cap and the barrel should slide off, allowing you to replace it with a different barrel. It's cheaper to get a different barrel for hunting or home defense than to buy a whole separate gun.