Mossberg 500 home security.How to mod for hunting??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 home security.How to mod for hunting??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossberg 500 home security.How to mod for hunting??

Ok, I bought this gun not knowing i'd be using it for a little prairie dog and rabbit hunting in the future. The problem is the fact that it doesn't have very much range. My buddies shotgun will out shoot mine by about 20-30 yards. I love it for short range etc... I know I can't put a choke tube on this model. What are my options? Another barrel? Can a gunsmith add a choke to the end somehow cheaper? Thanks.

Also will different ammo effect the range that much? I'm using basic universal 8shot 1 1/8 ounce from winchester. Would a 5-6 shot improve that much?

Sorry if this is basic. Newbie

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #2

What I'm doing to mine is to put a rail on the receiver infront of the safety and putting a ghost ring side with a matching front sight. Then I'll shoot 7/8 oz. or 1 oz. slugs that'll get your range farther out.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 AM   #3

Try getting a logner barrel. I have a 28" and 18.5" barrel for my 12ga. Works great.

S.S.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #4

Default hmm

I don't know if a longer barrel would improve anything except maybe my aim. I aim fine the pellets just spread out too much before they get to the target if its over maybe 25-20 yards. I don't want to shoot slugs at small game either.
Was thinking of something like this:

MidwayUSA - Mossberg Barrel Mossberg 500 12 Gauge 3" 20" Full, Modified, Improved Chokes Vent Rib Blue

kinda pricey for a gun I paid $300 for.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
Try getting a logner barrel. I have a 28" and 18.5" barrel for my 12ga. Works great.

S.S.
DITO +1

Thats what I have for my mossy. She came with a 28inc with screw out choke. Then I got an 18. There easy to swap out. Get some high base shells. That will help you reach out a little more. Those short barrels are fun.

SI VIC PACEM PARABELLUM

Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder92 View Post
Ok, I bought this gun not knowing i'd be using it for a little prairie dog and rabbit hunting in the future. The problem is the fact that it doesn't have very much range. My buddies shotgun will out shoot mine by about 20-30 yards. I love it for short range etc... I know I can't put a choke tube on this model. What are my options? Another barrel? Can a gunsmith add a choke to the end somehow cheaper? Thanks.

Also will different ammo effect the range that much? I'm using basic universal 8shot 1 1/8 ounce from winchester. Would a 5-6 shot improve that much?

Sorry if this is basic. Newbie
I apologize if I missed something, but you got a new Mossy 500 that you can't choke? Really?

Also, you bought it for what? How is it that you did not know what you were going to do with it? Rabbit for food and prarie dog for target? That's 2 different barrels right there.

Seriously, you can buy a used Mossy 500 with chokes for less than $200. How's it you paid $300 for no choke options? Did you buy a slugger with a rifled barrel? If so, for shot, buy the longer barrel with choke capacity. Other than that, you might want to look into what you are buying, imo.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #7

Default yep

Yep, I bought it for home defense and to shoot the occasional clay pigeon or bird, squirrel...whatever. I have a friend going through a divorce that now wants to go shooting all the time and I find myself needing the gun to do more than mainly home defense. I have not seen any near $200 out here by the way. I don't consider myself an expert in guns in any way which is why I'm on here. My knowledge is really in other things. No biggie, sounds like I just need another barrel. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by thunder92; 07-24-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All you need to do is buy a barrel that has the vent rib & features interchangeable choke tubes.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #9

I got my barrel from midway usa for 93 dollars. Thats the cylinder bore one, though. If you can find a longer barrel with the 3 chokes, I'd get it. Having different chokes can be used for different things. Clays, hunting, HD etc. Gotta love shotguns.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=742385
Something like this.

S.S.

Last edited by Shotgun Shooter; 07-24-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder92 View Post
Yep, I bought it for home defense and to shoot the occasional clay pigeon or bird, squirrel...whatever. I have a friend going through a divorce that now wants to go shooting all the time and I find myself needing the gun to do more than mainly home defense. I have not seen any near $200 out here by the way. I don't consider myself an expert in guns in any way which is why I'm on here. My knowledge is really in other things. No biggie, sounds like I just need another barrel. Thanks for the help guys.
Hey man, I appreciate your asking the question. I am learning by lurking here, but to be honest I have no idea what-the-heck a choke or choke tube is, other than an extra throttling on my carbureted gas-engined lawn machines to make them run until they are warmed up....

I have a Mossy 500 tactical 12G with pistol grip and 18" barrel, and it has occurred to me that it might be fun to skeet shoot with it some too. But I have no idea how a barrel of different length could be retrofitted. It's not like the original barrel is just screwed on, is it?

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!