Mossberg 500 28 inch barrel modified choke good for clay?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 28 inch barrel modified choke good for clay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default Mossberg 500 28 inch barrel modified choke good for clay?

Good morning everybody! today i will be going up against a remington 870 with a screw in choke improved cylinder 28 inch barrel, we will be shooting trap and skeet at my local shooting range the looser has to buy lunch. I dont really want to buy lunch but this is the first time ill be using my mossy my mossberg 500 is going to be equipped with a 28 inch barrel that has a MODIFIED choke built into the barrel i cant screw in different chokes so this is the only choke i can use modified choke vs improved cylinder choke which is better? He keeps calling mine a mossturd but is this barrel good for bird/clay?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2664 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Sorry to say he has the definite advantage. Skeet guns normally have a Improved or a Special Skeet Choke. Trap Guns traditionally have a Full Choke or Special (tighter) Trap Chokes. However to make the bet fair, demand that he only use his Modified Choke (if he has one) in his shotgun to compete for the lunch on both fields! If he uses the Improved Cylinder for Skeet mandate he use it on the Trap Field! That should more than even out the score. Unless he is lightning fast on the Trap Field you should have a slight advantage there!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #3

So my mossberg really is a mossturd? today we never went. he woke up late and it was about 110 Degrees outside so i still have enough time to get info does anyone here have a mossberg 500 28 inch barrel with a modified choke? If yo do please tell me how you do with clay

Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 525

Will a modified choke bust clays? Yes. You just have to let the bird get a little further out compared to an improved cylinder or skeet choke. Wait for the bird to get 25 to 30 yards out.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #5

Liked 2377 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 532

How much clay shooting experience do you have compared to the other shooter? That may be where the real advantage lies. Have you patterned your gun? Do you know if it hits high, low, left or right? Different loads that open patterns faster could have an advantage or help even the field. If you are going up against a more experienced shooter who has more practice and familiarity with his own gun, and you are going out for the first time with yours, unfired, you are already at a handicap. I wouldn't bet anything until I did a few boxes of ammo.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #6

Well he is my stepdad before i bought my mossberg we just used the remington 870 and took turns with it, i wanted my own and decided to get the mossberg 500 because it was only 367$ at big 5 and came with 2 barrels im thinking its a mossturd but its my mossturd and im proud of it no i havent shot it or patterned or shot it yet our range only allows us to use #8 birdshot i think. we currently use remington sport loads so im not sure what ammo is best for me im kinda wishing i bought an 870 but the mossy was a better deal oh well im not complaining im happy with my first shotgun.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #7

We both have about the same skill set. we take turns with the 870 but he gets out and shoots a tad bit more with it. hes only gone about 5 or 6 times the past 3 years without me, he is a little more familiar with disassembling and cleaning it iv sat and watches but im more familar with handling and shooting it so its mostly a draw so its remmy vs mossy we will see wich is the better shotgun im worried my mossy will lose though because we have been using the remmy for about 3 years but we shall see.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
We both have about the same skill set. we take turns with the 870 but he gets out and shoots a tad bit more with it. hes only gone about 5 or 6 times the past 3 years without me, he is a little more familiar with disassembling and cleaning it iv sat and watches but im more familar with handling and shooting it so its mostly a draw so its remmy vs mossy we will see wich is the better shotgun im worried my mossy will lose though because we have been using the remmy for about 3 years but we shall see.
get ready to buy lunch! he's shot with the 870 and so have you, but now you're using a shotgun that is unfamiliar to you and he's using one that he knows. you're at a disadvantage.

there is only one thing that makes a person a better shooter and that's trigger time. so, for the most part, the person who shoots more, ususally is going to be a better shooter.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #9

He works all this week so ill let you guys know who wins when we get back mossy vs remmy we shall settle this debate

Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

Well guys my mossy won!!