Mossberg 500 2 ga used for $250- good deal?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 2 ga used for $250- good deal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossberg 500 2 ga used for $250- good deal?

Hi all-seeking opinions and advice in general about purchase of used shotguns. I have the chance to purchase a Mossberg 500, 20 gauge, about 20 years old but looks perfect. Wood stock 24" barrel, being sold by retired LEO so I feel I can trust it was well cared for. Do you all feel comfortable with purchase of used long guns, and does $250 sound reasonable? Is also including 26" VR barrel. Anything I should look for to be a red flag as far as the fore end, trigger mechanism, etc that would indicate I should avoid? Looking for home defense. Thanks-sarcasm and all insults on the 20 ga part welcome. I am a smallish female and am also considering bantam or youth model but not sure if this deal is 'too good to pass up'.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #2

Duh sorry for typo in subject box- should be 20 gauge.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

the price is pretty good,especially with wood stocks and 2 barrels,and nothing wrong with a 20 gauge,I doubt anyone will knock you on that,but for home defense,a 24" barrel just sounds too long to me,usually an 18" is what you want for home defense.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #4

Thanks, Ninja. I agree on the barrel length. Is there any reason to think an 18" barrel purchased new today, would have any problems in a 20-year old model?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
Thanks, Ninja. I agree on the barrel length. Is there any reason to think an 18" barrel purchased new today, would have any problems in a 20-year old model?
I am not very familiar with the Mossberg's,but I do believe that a new barrel should fit on an older Mossberg,if i'm not mistaken,even some of the Remington and other brand barrels will fit the Mossberg also.Usually the 18" barrels are also unchoked,so you will get a fast all over spread on the bb's for easy home defense,as where those 24-26" barrels are probably choked for tighter hunting patterns.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Last edited by ninjatoth; 09-19-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can buy a 12 ga for $200 around here...

Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
being sold by retired LEO so I feel I can trust it was well cared for.
Marni, you would think so, but I have seen LEO owned weapons that have been carried for years and hardly ever cleaned. I recently worked on a gen 1 Glock 19 that had been carried every day in a duty rig for many, many years. It had never been detail stripped and totally cleaned. I do not know how it was still functioning, the firing pin channel was so full of gunk that you wouldn't believe it. It's not the only one I have seen like it either. Shotguns, are usually either in a rack in the front, barrel up, collecting dust down the barrel, or in a case in the trunk, bouncing aroung and collecting dirt and dust. How ever, they usually are only fired for qualifications, so it won't be shot out. That is unless you try using it for duck hunting .

By the way, I have a nice Mallard Drake hanging on the wall that I got with my Ithaca.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....