Mossberg 385T Bolt Action 20 Ga Shotgun.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 385T Bolt Action 20 Ga Shotgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default Mossberg 385T Bolt Action 20 Ga Shotgun.

well i went to the LGS this morning looking for a new project gun on the cheap. nothing specific in mind, just looking for whatever happened to catch my fancy or interest. did find a very nice used Rossi M92 lever action in 44 Mag. that was really too nice of condition for a makeover. somebody had taken very good care of it. now the one i did buy is a Mossberg 385T bolt action 20 ga. shotgun that i scored for $110. stock has some minor dings and scratches, but the metalwork is in very good condition. more than likely iw ill just refinish the stock and leave the metalwork alone. had an idea of putting scope bases and mounting a 1-4x32 scope on it just for the fun of it.

i'll post some pictures later tonight when i get back home.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2013, 03:04 AM   #2

Mossberg model 385T. 26" barrel with a Full Choke. has a two round magazine. wood appears to be maybe birch. metalwork is in very good condition and the stock does have a few minor dings and scratches. overall, in very good shape. here are a few pictures of it.

mossberg-385t-shotgun-008.jpg   mossberg-385t-shotgun-009.jpg   mossberg-385t-shotgun-012.jpg   mossberg-385t-shotgun-013.jpg  

Old 03-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1752 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9620

You bought that one to refinish? Hell, it looks to be in nicer shape than my 185-d and my 185-ka! Nice find there Axxe. Have fun with the new project!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
You bought that one to refinish? Hell, it looks to be in nicer shape than my 185-d and my 185-ka! Nice find there Axxe. Have fun with the new project!
thanks Kfox. i just want to change the color a little on the stock, and maybe go just a little darker and see if i can bring out the pattern of the grain alittle better.

went out back and fired off a few rounds in it this evening and it's shoots great. been many years since i owned a bolt action shotgun, and this one may have started something! now i want a couple more!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
thanks Kfox. i just want to change the color a little on the stock, and maybe go just a little darker and see if i can bring out the pattern of the grain alittle better.

went out back and fired off a few rounds in it this evening and it's shoots great. been many years since i owned a bolt action shotgun, and this one may have started something! now i want a couple more!
I hear ya on that one Axxe. My bolt shotty addiction started back when I was in high school when my dad gave me his dad's old 185-d. Then, while attending JCC, I found an old Marlin model 55 goose gun for $75 at a yard sale, and lived on Ramen soup for a week after buying it for $65 (my grocery budget). I took in a 185-ka as trade for refinishing a stock for a friend's FIL's old single shot. Got a Kessler model 30C a few years back at the local archery shop due to it being made in the town I live in. Bought that one for the local history, now I use it for turkey hunting. The most recent "temptation" is an old Browning A Bolt slug gun, that my friend wants to trade for one of my old plow trucks. If I can get him to go for the one that needs the engine rebuilt, (runs good, you just need to remember to check the gas and fill the oil before you take off) I think I will take him up on that offer..........

And yes, I will find an FFL to go through. After all, I do not agree with the law, but I don't think it is worth risking arrest while the case against it is still being fought. Effin' Cuomo

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #6

Quote:
I hear ya on that one Axxe. My bolt shotty addiction started back when I was in high school when my dad gave me his dad's old 185-d. Then, while attending JCC, I found an old Marlin model 55 goose gun for $75 at a yard sale, and lived on Ramen soup for a week after buying it for $65 (my grocery budget). I took in a 185-ka as trade for refinishing a stock for a friend's FIL's old single shot. Got a Kessler model 30C a few years back at the local archery shop due to it being made in the town I live in. Bought that one for the local history, now I use it for turkey hunting. The most recent "temptation" is an old Browning A Bolt slug gun, that my friend wants to trade for one of my old plow trucks. If I can get him to go for the one that needs the engine rebuilt, (runs good, you just need to remember to check the gas and fill the oil before you take off) I think I will take him up on that offer..........

And yes, I will find an FFL to go through. After all, I do not agree with the law, but I don't think it is worth risking arrest while the case against it is still being fought. Effin' Cuomo
bolt shotguns are just cool! i have always liked them, but they just arn't as common around my area like they use to be years ago. everybody wants semi-autos or pumps these days.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
bolt shotguns are just cool! i have always liked them, but they just arn't as common around my area like they use to be years ago. everybody wants semi-autos or pumps these days.
It's the same way up here. I've only seen 5 other ones in 20 years of hunting and going to the ranges in my area. When it comes to shooting, most people want the latest thing to come on the market. I like the old bolt guns for a couple reasons. They make excellent slug guns, they teach you to take your time when shooting, they teach you to make the first shot count, They are simple to work on, and they can be picked up dirt cheap. None of mine are pretty, hell, the kessler is downright ugly, but all of them are dead on when it comes to accuracy. Can't ask for more than that IMHO.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
It's the same way up here. I've only seen 5 other ones in 20 years of hunting and going to the ranges in my area. When it comes to shooting, most people want the latest thing to come on the market. I like the old bolt guns for a couple reasons. They make excellent slug guns, they teach you to take your time when shooting, they teach you to make the first shot count, They are simple to work on, and they can be picked up dirt cheap. None of mine are pretty, hell, the kessler is downright ugly, but all of them are dead on when it comes to accuracy. Can't ask for more than that IMHO.
Kfox, those are pretty good reasons and i can agree with your accessment. plus for some of us, like you and i, we just have an affection for them! are they the prettiest shotgun or the newest fad? nope. but they have their own cool factor!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Kfox, those are pretty good reasons and i can agree with your accessment. plus for some of us, like you and i, we just have an affection for them! are they the prettiest shotgun or the newest fad? nope. but they have their own cool factor!
QFT Axxe. That 185-d of mine has taken roughly 50 deer in the hands of 3 generations of my family. It got my grandfather kicked out of a PA turkey shoot several decades ago. He added a fully adjustable rear Peep sight to it when he got it, and it has been there ever since. He fired his shot as either #6 or 7, and wiped out everyone else's hits. Took the bullseye right out of the middle of the target at 100 yards. i guess the locals thought he was cheating, I think that he was just that good, and so was the shotgun.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #10

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

I have a Mossberg 385k in 20 gauge they are great little guns. That's what I killed my first deer with when I was 12. My dad bought mine for me about 15 years ago when I was 10 because I wanted a bolt action 20 gauge shotgun and that's the only one he could find. When we got it somebody had painted the barrel pink. So we stripped the barrel down and reblued it then we refinished the stock on it which it needs again. It has the c-lect choke on the end of it. I have killed many things with that old 20 gauge and this passed deer season my little sister killed her first deer with it too. My little boy is 6 and he is getting his first 410 for Easter but in about 3 or 4 years I will pass that old 20 gauge down to him. In most people's eyes that gun if worth maybe $100 but I wouldn't take $1000 for it just because of how much it means to me