Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 190

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16924 Times on 9806 Posts
Likes Given: 44112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet8 View Post
Thanks. They seem to be sold out every time I look. I love those old bolties too. Havlin has alot of old Mossberg stuff too should you ever need it. That have both my right & left extractors in stock. Thanks again friend!
you're welcome. yes they sometimes are out of things i want or need too, but you can never tell when they might have it.

i still like the old bolt action shotguns too! most of them i happen to have run across over the last several years have been in very poor and rough shape.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

For anything Mossberg, contact Vic or Cheryl Havlin at havlinsales.com Vic used to work for Mossberg. The two of them run the Mossberg Collectors Assoc, and are really nice folks to deal with.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Try some Winchester AA light target loads.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #14

I know I'm a couple months late to this party, but I was looking for info on the Mossberg 190 as a family friend has one that is languishing in obscurity in his basement that I'm considering making him an offer for. One of you (I don't remember who, to be honest) mentioned that anything but steel shot would be fine to put through it. My question is, why the restriction on steel shot? Unfortunately, that's all my local range will allow out of scatgerguns. I have no problem using other types of shot for game or clays, but it's going to need some work and tuning up (therefore some range time) before I can get it to that point. Any advice you have, I'm happy to take. Thanks much in advance!

Old 10-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1033 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5321

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalBigsocks View Post
I know I'm a couple months late to this party, but I was looking for info on the Mossberg 190 as a family friend has one that is languishing in obscurity in his basement that I'm considering making him an offer for. One of you (I don't remember who, to be honest) mentioned that anything but steel shot would be fine to put through it. My question is, why the restriction on steel shot? Unfortunately, that's all my local range will allow out of scatgerguns. I have no problem using other types of shot for game or clays, but it's going to need some work and tuning up (therefore some range time) before I can get it to that point. Any advice you have, I'm happy to take. Thanks much in advance!
To answer the steel shot question, steel does not compress going through the choke like lead does, and thus will wear out the barrel if enough rounds are put through it. Chokes rated for steel have a different hardness than those designed for lead do. Go to this site for more information on the 190 and other Mossberg long guns.

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

If the 190 in your friend's basement is in solid shape, not rusted out with a good bore and furniture, it should be worth $80 to $100 depending on how good it looks. If it needs work, you may be able to pick it up for around $50, and put some work into it yourself. They clean up quite nicely, and they make a good reliable field gun. Hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?