Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 190

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Mossberg 190

I just picked up a Mossberg model 190 for a good price. It's just like the gun my Dad used to let me shoot as a kid before he passed on, a 16 ga. bolt action. Since it was made from 1955-57, what's a good load to shoot through just for practice, don't want to tear it up & don't want to tear my head off either.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." ~

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8421 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

With the exception of steel shot, it should be fine with any off the shelf 16 g load. 16 g was not always 2.75 inches- early ones were 2 9/16ths- but the shells changed in 1927- you should be fine.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
With the exception of steel shot, it should be fine with any off the shelf 16 g load. 16 g was not always 2.75 inches- early ones were 2 9/16ths- but the shells changed in 1927- you should be fine.
Thanks, it's been a long time since I've shot one of them, didn't know how dangerous or more powerful loads were today!

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." ~

Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #4

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts

The pressure specifications for loads has not changed in the intervening years since the 1950s.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian
The pressure specifications for loads has not changed in the intervening years since the 1950s.
Much appreciated! I would rather be aware the dead! Thanks guys! I love these old shotguns.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8421 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Since I have a minor addiction to Mossberg 22s (I can stop any time, you know...) and have a few of the Mossy shotguns, this is a site I like-

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

Scroll down, look for the green shotshells. Your gun is in there.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Since I have a minor addiction to Mossberg 22s (I can stop any time, you know...) and have a few of the Mossy shotguns, this is a site I like-

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

Scroll down, look for the green shotshells. Your gun is in there.
I know all about that addiction, I suffer from the same one. Hard to quit though, every time I want to another old Mossberg seems to find it's way to my door. And then into my safe!

That is one of my favorite sites C3, I have learned quite a bit about my old bolt guns, and my 200K there. great site.

hachet, enjoy your new to you 190. One question, is it a K,T, or D variant? Just curious is all. I still have my grandfather's old 185-ka that is now being shared between generation 3 and 4 in my family. I love those old bolt shotguns, and it is an honor for me to still be feeding my family with the same shotgun that was keeping the family fed over 60 years ago. Enjoy re-living your old memories of time with your father, and making some new ones with your new old shotgun.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 08-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

I know all about that addiction, I suffer from the same one. Hard to quit though, every time I want to another old Mossberg seems to find it's way to my door. And then into my safe!

That is one of my favorite sites C3, I have learned quite a bit about my old bolt guns, and my 200K there. great site.

hachet, enjoy your new to you 190. One question, is it a K,T, or D variant? Just curious is all. I still have my grandfather's old 185-ka that is now being shared between generation 3 and 4 in my family. I love those old bolt shotguns, and it is an honor for me to still be feeding my family with the same shotgun that was keeping the family fed over 60 years ago. Enjoy re-living your old memories of time with your father, and making some new ones with your new old shotgun.
Ya know I wish I could tell you, it only says model 190 on the barrel, I don't see any suffix. However I did find an extractor that was broken on it, the dealer didn't tell me about. Sorry it took so long, this forum seems to be getting harder & harder to navigate.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19982 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet8 View Post
Ya know I wish I could tell you, it only says model 190 on the barrel, I don't see any suffix. However I did find an extractor that was broken on it, the dealer didn't tell me about. Sorry it took so long, this forum seems to be getting harder & harder to navigate.
Hatchet, check out Numrich Gun Parts. they carry lots of old and obsolete gun parts and have lots of schematics too.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Mossberg-33399/Shotguns-37443/190-41867.htm

i have an older Mossberg 385T 20 ga. that i bought earlier this year in pretty good shape. love those old bolt action shotguns!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

Hatchet, check out Numrich Gun Parts. they carry lots of old and obsolete gun parts and have lots of schematics too.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Mossberg-33399/Shotguns-37443/190-41867.htm

i have an older Mossberg 385T 20 ga. that i bought earlier this year in pretty good shape. love those old bolt action shotguns!
Thanks. They seem to be sold out every time I look. I love those old bolties too. Havlin has alot of old Mossberg stuff too should you ever need it. That have both my right & left extractors in stock. Thanks again friend!

Axxe55 Likes This