Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > moss "88"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default moss "88"

how many of you have shot a mossberg maverick 88? i have never shot one but handled one at academy the other day,it felt kinda cheap. i know that at one time it was just maverick firearms located somewhere in TX . did mossberg buy them out and put thier name on them to get into the low end market? about $170.00 at academy.

if you dont shoot you dont hit,if you do shoot you might hit ..................... Once a soldier always a soldier A trp 1/7 cav

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

The Maverick 88's are made in Eagle Pass. The only difference is the location of the safety. The 500 has a tang mounted safety, the 88 has a traditional pushbutton safety on the trigger group.

I do not care for the Mossys but I would not consider the Maverick to be infererior to a 500.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wst tx hunter View Post
how many of you have shot a mossberg maverick 88? i have never shot one but handled one at academy the other day,it felt kinda cheap. i know that at one time it was just maverick firearms located somewhere in TX . did mossberg buy them out and put thier name on them to get into the low end market? about $170.00 at academy.
If your used to the "tight" feel of the slide on something like an 870, a Mossberg or Maverick may feel cheap at first, but that's just the way they are made. I have both a Remmy 870 and Mossberg 500, both are great guns, but the slide on the Mossberg has more, I guess you could call it play, from side to side than the 870. It's not that they're cheap, just the way they're made.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have an 88 that I got from a friend with several boxes of good shells for $50. He bought it during the '92 LA riots and never used it.

I've fired it, but not very much. Maybe 100 rds? It works. It is smooth like a Mossberg. And it is reliable.

I prefer 870's and High Standards, but the 88 is a High Standard design and works just fine.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #5

Liked 210 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I have an eighteen inch Maverick 88 (full stock) that I keep as the "house" gun.
The first time I shot it after purchasing, the action did feel kind of.... "sloppy". But after a couple boxes of shells I felt more confident in the gun since it proved to be quite reliable.

My reasoning for selecting the Maverick was that I know that if I ever had to use the gun, it would most likely be taken away - never to return again. I wouldn't loose any sleep over the cost of the gun....

I have no doubt the 88 can get the job done. (#4 buck...)

Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a 88 for home defense. I have a Knoxx top-folding stock because of the lightweight of the gun it will recoil hardcore especially if your putting in buck or slugs through it. I've put over 100 rounds through mine and it's a beauty.