Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Moss 500 HD (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/moss-500-hd-27330/)

deathkricket 05-19-2010 02:42 AM

Moss 500 HD

Question was, will painting the bolt of a mossberg hurt it?

UnderFire 05-19-2010 10:11 PM

I've been thinking about it

Aw deathkricket , you had a good question. I've been thinking about it.
I'm wonder if the enamel paint would be too thick and would get scraped off when working the action causing paint chips to fall inside the receiver?
I was going to suggest if you could find a bolt the color you want for cheap to replace the one you dislike? So what have you decided to do?

deathkricket 05-20-2010 05:19 AM

I have seen some people paint their bolts, but none of them have shot it since they painted it so, i doubt the paint would hold even is i sanded the bolt and if i do sand it and the paint comes off, my bolt would be all scratched up and look worse then it does now, and replacment bolts are not cheap :) im just not a fan of shiny silver bolts in dark guns, BTW ATI heat gaurds for the moss 500 are crap, any of you who are thinking of buying one, dont, save your money.

UnderFire 05-20-2010 11:47 AM

Can you send the bolt out to be Blued or Parkerized?

deathkricket 05-20-2010 06:47 PM

To be honest i never even thought of having the bolt blued,

UnderFire 05-20-2010 11:22 PM

deathkricket,

If you decide to get it Parkerized let me know, I have a friend that does that.
I'll send his contact info to you. He builds the best tactical 870's.

KMO 05-20-2010 11:38 PM

I assume the desire to colorize the bolt is to minimize the reflective surface and maintain the stealthy tactical appearance for home defense. The bolt slides forward and back in a metal-on-metal environment, so painting is not a good option. One could try colorizing with black oxide treatment, or perhaps use a gun finish such as KG Gun Kote, which is extremely thin, but rugged.

deathkricket 05-21-2010 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMO (Post 287960)
I assume the desire to colorize the bolt is to minimize the reflective surface and maintain the stealthy tactical appearance for home defense. The bolt slides forward and back in a metal-on-metal environment, so painting is not a good option. One could try colorizing with black oxide treatment, or perhaps use a gun finish such as KG Gun Kote, which is extremely thin, but rugged.

What makes a gun tactical is the person holding it, i just hate bling on guns :)
Like mossbergs gold triggers :rolleyes:

sgtdeath66 05-21-2010 09:26 AM

or you can try lauer custom weaponry and buy the color you want. the stuff is amazing, i bought some combat green and painted my mossy for 45 bucks. i did that bout 5-6 yrs ago and its still holding up