Model 235, J. Stevens double shotgun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Model 235, J. Stevens double shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Model 235, J. Stevens double shotgun

I am trying to clear up a family mystery. I was recently given a very rusty shotgun that was found in a wet field stone basement. I have cleaned enough rust to find, "J Stevens Arms & Tool Co" and "Model 235" and serial #A11058.

Any advice on its age would be very helpful. Also, where might I find a replacement for the rust-destroyed barrel? Any other advice or information?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Please take some good pics of the gun and all its markings.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9918 Times on 4270 Posts
Likes Given: 1561

Maybe I can narrow down the date of birth a bit- the 235 was made from 1912-1915, ALL shotgun making stopped 1916, resumed 1920, and the model 235 ended production in 1932. The "Arms & Tool" name was not used after 1915, so you have somewhere between 1912-1915.

Now for the bad news- barrels, WHICH MUST BE FITTED TO THE GUN- are LONG out of production. Even Numrich is out of parts. Finding a set is going to be a matter of luck. and far more than the worth of your gun (about $150) ALSO- shotshells were not always 2 3/4 inches- earlier shells were shorter, and even if they will chamber, SHOULD NOT BE FIRED. Death, doom destruction, and how the hell are we ever gonna get THAT out of the carpet?

For rust- there is a lovely product called KROIL. It is the god of penetrating oils. Apply a generous coat, let soak for a day, for heavy rust LIGHTLY rub with a copper pot scrubber, sold as Chore Boy.

I would strongly suggest that, with a possible 100th birthday approaching, your nice bit of family history should be retired to a place of honor above the fireplace- where you can tell the kids outrageous stories about how Great-Aunt Bessie used it to run off the hobo that was trying to steal her chickens. Or something like that.

And yeah, pics would be nice. I like old shotguns!

PS- where ARE my manners? Welcome to the forum. Good folks around here. When you get a minute, stop by the introductions thread, and say howdy.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 04-13-2011 at 05:38 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Maybe I can narrow down the date of birth a bit- the 235 was made from 1912-1915, ALL shotgun making stopped 1916, resumed 1920, and the model 235 ended production in 1932. The "Arms & Tool" name was not used after 1915, so you have somewhere between 1912-1915.
This is off-topic for the original post, but I have to say something... I admire these bits of lore when someone is gracious enough to share.

I'm not a particularly good shot, don't know a whole lot about firearms outside of the rifles and handguns that I own, haven't hunted in years, don't much care for or have the ability to do those "7 Days in the Woods" adventures anymore. If some kid wanted to steal my wallet I'd just as soon hand it to him as buy him lunch.

I shoot because getting out on the range at 5AM really calms me. Cleaning my guns and going through the routine of stripping them down and putting them back together teaches me discipline (as does all the other safety steps that familiarity can make us forget). Reading about antique machinery gives me respect for those that had gone before.

I admire and respect your knowledge and just wanted to say thanks.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanx!

Wow, thank you c3shooter, for the immediate reply. I will rush out for KROIL. I will not blow my face off (thanx to your alert)...although I will admit the little boy in me was feeling a little temptation to get it back to working order. I'm 58 and know better but...

Anyway, the birthdate is an amazing clue. My grandfather died in 1939. He was a postmaster and carrier in Tappen,ND. Legend has it that he carried a coach gun (probably for bunnys) on his route, which could take days. He drove an enclosed wagon with a small potbelly stove; in winter, he replaced the wheels with sled runners. It seems the shotgun was forgotten and lost following his death. A couple years ago my cousin found this gun in my (deceased) great uncle's house foundation. My cousin believes it is my grandfathers. Your dates really fit.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9918 Times on 4270 Posts
Likes Given: 1561

Gents- you are both too kind. Nice bit of family history to have.

My first gun was received on the day I was born- a single shot H&R .410, chambered for TWO INCH .410 shells. Mom used to carry it as a girl when getting up the cows in the evening, and pot the occasional squirrel at the same time. I value that over any other firearm I have.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Model 235 Photos

Since photos were requested... I think I successfully attached several photos. Its stock is obviously not walnut; it is clearly a working man's gun with no frills or decoration.

The stock is a white hardwood. Perhaps maple or hackberry? Any ideas? It is badly split and checked but I like to restore old wooden radios so I should be able to perform some surgery to improve its cosmetics...and prevent cutting myself (again) on the jagged edge of one large split. Perhaps I will submit an "after" photo in the near future.

shotgun.jpg   breakdown.jpg   breach.jpg  

Old 11-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #8

hmm Found one of these in the barn- Was my great grandpas. looks like it had gotten stuck shut and he took a hammer to it trying to get it to open. Real rusty. cleaned it up for looks but the stocks pretty loose. Functions at the moment but no way I'd ever attempt to fire it. Way rusty with lots of pitting and looks like he dropped it on the barrels because the bottom edge of the muzzles (not sure what to call the business end of the barrel here. there isnt a choke but its where youd screw one in on modern shotgun) are both a little bent. figured it to be a wall hanger. Anyone know where I could get one in fireable condition to purchase? I understand that I might have to have special ammo if I was able to find one in good enough shape- were I to find such a beasty what ammo would I need? or would it even be worth it to mess with that? should I just put it by the fireplace and call it a good story?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1941 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 11037

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessS View Post
hmm Found one of these in the barn- Was my great grandpas. looks like it had gotten stuck shut and he took a hammer to it trying to get it to open. Real rusty. cleaned it up for looks but the stocks pretty loose. Functions at the moment but no way I'd ever attempt to fire it. Way rusty with lots of pitting and looks like he dropped it on the barrels because the bottom edge of the muzzles (not sure what to call the business end of the barrel here. there isnt a choke but its where youd screw one in on modern shotgun) are both a little bent. figured it to be a wall hanger. Anyone know where I could get one in fireable condition to purchase? I understand that I might have to have special ammo if I was able to find one in good enough shape- were I to find such a beasty what ammo would I need? or would it even be worth it to mess with that? should I just put it by the fireplace and call it a good story?
Welcome to the forum Jess. Swing over to the introductions thread later, and tell us a little bit about yourself.

The end of the barrels is the muzzle, just as it is with any firearm. If it were me, I would just turn that old coach gun into a wall hanger. If you don't care if it has hammers, look into a Stoeger coach gun. If you must have a hammerlock, Look into one of theses:

A friend of mine gave me one of his as a gift a few years back, and I love it. The only thing I don't like about my Overland is that I do not get enough trigger time on it if I go out with other shooters, as they tend to spend more time shooting it than I do.

It will shoot 2.75 or 3 inch modern ammo, so no issue finding rounds for it, and it is absolutely wonderful for upland bird hunting. I will also double as a backup HD piece. Get ready for a bit of a search as they stopped importing theses in the early 90s, but they do show up on the used racks at shops, at gun shows, and on Armslist from time to time. trust me, getting one is well worth the time spent looking.

A couple of links to one that are still being produced:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/coach-guns-single-and-double-trigger-shotguns

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1878-coach-gun-12-ga-20-in-1878cg.html

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

RKB Likes This 
Old 11-18-2014, 01:14 AM   #10
RKB

Liked 158 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Those little Rossi coachguns are sweet - and were very well made for the money. If I run into one for sale it may follow me home. I'm not much of a fan of Stoeger, and I have never seen the Cimarron gun.
The only hammergun I have currently is an old JP Sauer 16ga with 30 inch barrels and full/ridiculous chokes. More fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Last edited by RKB; 11-18-2014 at 01:16 AM.
kfox75 Likes This