Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Model 12 Riot gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/model-12-riot-gun-34792/)

Badshot320 11-25-2010 11:08 PM

Model 12 Riot gun

I have an old mod 12 riot gun. The problem is the magazine spring is to weak to cycle shells into the bottom of the reciever. It has been stretched many times over the years and isnt even a temporary fix anymore. My real question is : Is there a more reliable spring I could substitute from another gun. It has a 7+1 capacity.

c3shooter 11-26-2010 01:43 AM

Any competent gunsmith should be able to get you fixed up with a magazine spring. They are not that specialized- although yours may be a tad longer than most.

Badshot320 11-26-2010 01:56 AM

Yeah thats the problem. Im not really sure how long it should be. When i open the mag tube it comes out like one of those old peanut can snake jokes.

30-30remchester 11-26-2010 04:04 AM

I have studied and owned so many model 12's I have lost count and have never had one that had a capacity of 7+1. The magazines of the model 12 held 6 rounds. Do you have a modified model 12?

Badshot320 11-26-2010 04:21 AM

Mod 12

Its in my fathers safe atm so I cant get the serial number off of it tonight. Im not sure of the guns back round before the mid 70s when my father bought it from a friend who has since passed but if it could talk im sure it has some stories to tell. It has a sticker on the stock from Tuscan police dept, a 17 inlaid into the grip of the stock, and a US with a what looks like a little bomb engraved on the reciever. It has a 18 1/4" barrel that appears to be factory cut. The magazine tube is about 2" shorter than the barrel.

30-30remchester 11-26-2010 10:57 PM

It sounds like you have a model 12 that was either purchased for or ordered for the government. It might have been bought and used as gunner training and had the barrel shortened. The factory never had a 18" barrel. Their shortest factory barrel was 20". Are you measusuring the barrel correctly? To correctly measure a barrel is to MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED, then close the action, then run a wooden dowel down the barrel till it hits the closed bolt face, mark the dowel where it meets the barrel after it bottoms out. Then remove the dowle and measure the to the mark. There are some questionable statement you have made I would be happy to help you with. Detailed photos will help. The US govermant bought long barreled shotguns, 20" riot guns for guard duty, and also purchased 20" barreled trench guns. Either way you have a historical firearm that should never be altered or refinished. After the war many US shotguns were given to police departments. Check the choke markings on the barrel, if it says anything but "cyl" you have a shortened field gun.

willshoum 11-27-2010 12:03 AM

Worn out Spring.

Google Spring Manufacturers, One is W B Jones Spring Co. They can custom make one for you and ship in in three days. Good Luck and Good shooting:)

Badshot320 11-27-2010 01:57 AM

Sorry my bad, I checked it out earlier and it is 6+1 not 7+1 that I had stated earlier, been awhile since Ive shot it and after checking into it I was wrong but every thing else I stated is proper.
Im 99.9% sure of my measurements on the 18.25" barrel

Either way my original question was: Is there a spring that can be retro fitted to it as im currently unemployed and I need this fixed cheaply if possible.

I just want to address this flaw once and for all in a costly manner.

Ill also add that this weapon has been so much fun over the years, its definately an attention getter, being able to pull the trigger once and ripping off 7 rounds just gives me chills! LoL Which brings up another question: Are there any other shotguns that fire from simply rechambering another round?

Badshot320 11-27-2010 02:02 AM

Sorry I also forgot to add that the barrel is marked as Cyclinder choke which makes me believe it was made this way originally from the factory not a cut down after thought.

Hawg 11-27-2010 02:35 PM

The flaming bomb is a U.S. ordnance acceptance stamp which means it was probably originally a trench gun. The police dept. probably removed the heat shield and bayonet lug and shortened the barrel. A standard model 12 spring will work as the magazine for trench or riot guns is the same as the civilian versions. The magazine holds six even tho the factory advertised them as holding 5. The model 97 Winchester and the Ithaca model 37 both have no disconnecter and will fire with the action worked and the trigger held back. There may be others but these I know for a fact do.