Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mini Shells? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mini-shells-18019/)

Benning Boy 09-13-2009 11:03 PM

Mini Shells?

1 Attachment(s)
Didn't know these existed till a few days ago. Any experience with them?

wst tx hunter 09-13-2009 11:21 PM

what are they supposed to be for?looks like they could get you in trouble if migratory hunting

c3shooter 09-13-2009 11:31 PM

Yeah, have shot a few. Surprisingly good. Small charge of fairly hot powder, about 75% of usual shot load. Will not cycle thru most pumps or autos- length is way off. There is a Russian autoloader that LOOKS weirder than socks on a rooster that was made just for those mini's- and it holds a LOT of them.

Benning Boy 09-13-2009 11:31 PM

Near as I can tell, they come in either slugs or a mix of two different sizes of buckshot. At half the size of a regular shell, I assume you could double your capacity. I can't believe that these would cycle in a semi, and they might be shaky in a pump.

I would also have to think that recoil would be low.

But if they worked, well, they could be alot of fun.:)

c3shooter 09-14-2009 03:59 AM

They also come in birdshot. Dove hunting w/ an O/U, you could carry a LOT more ammo.

spittinfire 09-14-2009 11:05 AM

So basically you have a shorter shell with similar velocity on a lighter payload?? Is that right?

c3shooter 09-14-2009 02:55 PM

Think so. Not an expert, have shot a few. Recoil similar to a light dove load-but have not had my shoulder calibrated this month, so just guessing. Remember, shot shell geometry was based on BLACK POWDER and felt wads.

KingTiger 09-14-2009 07:53 PM

My Win. 1300 pump is one of the few that will feed those, most of the time. I used them to save my shoulder in a tactical SG course and they worked for the most part. I did have one jam & the round turned itself around in the chamber & was a PIA to get out. I removed them from my HD gun after that. Just stick to full sized shells.

jbshoots 09-15-2009 06:36 AM

i have seen these. a friend of mine picked up a box of the slugs at the last gun show that was around and i shot a few through my remington 870 pump 12.

they seemed to feed ok in my gun and were somewhat accurate. we were hitting on target from maybe 35-40 yds away.

yeah, they were kinda neat and all because you can hold more, but at the same time they are a lesser load than a regular slug so, you know, not as powerful.

(but still plenty powerful enough to kill someone)

NickySantoro 09-16-2009 10:15 PM

They seem to be a niche product with limited but undeniably useful application. I did a quick calculation of muzzle energy a while back and, IIRC, it was about double .45 ACP. The recoil out of my O/U was very light. They might make a good HD round out of an O/U or coach gun for someone who is very recoil sensitive.