Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   maybe a new gun?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/maybe-new-gun-19882/)

kzink 11-08-2009 09:36 PM

maybe a new gun??

well since my first gun, Remington 870 HD, was a gift and i need a much longer barrel to hunt effectively. i went to a few of my local gun shops and the best price ive heard for a barrel is 225 i found one online for 180 but i still have to pay for shipping. so if im gunna be spending almost 250 after tax for just a barrel y not spend a little more and get a brand new gun. just trying to get some ideas on a second gun. should i stick with a 870 or something new. i have never hunted but i plan on starting. what do you guys think?

BillM 11-08-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzink (Post 183781)
well since my first gun, Remington 870 HD, was a gift and i need a much longer barrel to hunt effectively. i went to a few of my local gun shops and the best price ive heard for a barrel is 225 i found one online for 180 but i still have to pay for shipping. so if im gunna be spending almost 250 after tax for just a barrel y not spend a little more and get a brand new gun. just trying to get some ideas on a second gun. should i stick with a 870 or something new. i have never hunted but i plan on starting. what do you guys think?

Hunting what?

canebrake 11-08-2009 11:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This works well on APC's:

Attachment 7495

20mikemike

Attachment 7496

20mikemike

Attachment 7497

20mikemike & .50 BMG

User Name 11-09-2009 12:25 AM

LMAO, Nice canebrake!

If you are interested in hunting I would keep your 870. I have seen barrels for my 870 express at dicks for much less than that. I do not remember the exact price but it was nowhere near that price!

If you cannot find a barrel for a good price and would like to save some pennies, look for a Mosin Nagant rifle. You can get one for about 100 bucks, and has around the same power as a 30-06. Ammo is also cheap. Look for the long barrels as they are more accurate.

If you really want to stay with a shotgun but get a new gun, I would stay with the 870. It is a really great shotgun. IMO for the money its the best you can get. Good luck to you!

BillM 11-09-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 183802)
This works well on APC's:

Attachment 7495

20mikemike

Well yes--but while the APC season is long, it's getting harder and
harder to draw a tag. And you do have to admit, the 20 is right at
the edge of being overkill for sage rats.

Cane--what is the black one? At first glance I thought S18 1000
Solothurn, but it's something else. Pic is a little dark--single shot
bolt action with a left side magazine?

canebrake 11-09-2009 01:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM (Post 183815)
Well yes--but while the APC season is long, it's getting harder and
harder to draw a tag. And you do have to admit, the 20 is right at
the edge of being overkill for sage rats.

Cane--what is the black one? At first glance I thought S18 1000
Solothurn, but it's something else. Pic is a little dark--single shot
bolt action with a left side magazine?

I think it's a South Africian Mechem NTW-20

Attachment 7500

UnderFire 11-09-2009 03:25 AM

Since you're looking to change a short barrel shotgun into a hunting gun, I can only assume that you'll be hunting shotgun game. Sometimes it more feasible to buy a whole gun than parts to change your gun. Check Wal*Mart they have Rem 870s for 259 bucks w/ a mail-in-rebate making the price even less than the original price tag. It's always nice to have 2 or more shotguns. ;)

adamhale 12-14-2009 01:49 AM

I have a maverick 88 it is made by mossberg here is the web site Maverick Arms very reliable gun same as a mossberg 500

Virginian 12-14-2009 10:33 AM

I got into this game before screw-in choke tubes and the like, and I like extra barrels. There are more around for an 870 than anything else, and there are plenty on gunbroker and gunsamerica well under $150. If you can live with a fixed choke there are plenty around and under $100.
Fortunately or unfortunately, it seems the cost of supporting your local gun shop keeps going up relative to the competition on a lot of things.