Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Maverick vs NEF (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/maverick-vs-nef-54446/)

BDSTRICK 12-31-2011 02:02 AM

Maverick vs NEF

Which for suitable HD weapon, and also trap/ skeet?

Jstrong 12-31-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDSTRICK
Which for suitable HD weapon, and also trap/ skeet?

I've had my maverick 88 since I was 15,keep a 18.5 inch barrel on it for HD.Don't even bother to swap in the long one when I go to shoot skeet with pops. Very serviceable,out of all my guns that ones probably had the most abuse.

gmaster456 12-31-2011 02:56 AM

I'd go with the Maverick 88. As far as I know, its been around a lot longer. I've also heard better things about it. I don't think you could go wrong with either though. I just prefer Mossberg. There are a number of things about the 870 and their clones that I do not like.

Slugo 12-31-2011 09:38 AM

neither is a trap or skeet gun, strictly security or home defense...

downsouth 12-31-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slugo
neither is a trap or skeet gun, strictly security or home defense...

If you can hit a skeet sailing in the air with an 18 &1/2 inch barrel, what can you do with a hd shot. Sounds like pretty good practice to me.

Hookeye 01-02-2012 05:38 AM

IIRC the NEF Pardner is Chinese made.
That's a no go for me.

gmaster456 01-02-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookeye (Post 665245)
IIRC the NEF Pardner is Chinese made.
That's a no go for me.

NEF is owned by the same company that owns, Remington, bushmaster, H&R, Marlin, and about 7 other gun manufacturers. I don't think reliability will be an issue. I don't think ive ever heard of someone having reliability issues with a pardner. I bet 90% of the parts in the computer your using come from china and other parts of asia. Same for your car. It might be american made but where do you think the parts come from?

Hookeye 01-02-2012 05:35 PM

I'll spend my $ the way I want and try to avoid Chinese as much as possible.

Don't care what company imports it, that really has no bearing on quality.
Capturing low end market share is what they are trying to do, if the items suck they'll just drop them and pick up something comparable from another Turkish/Chinese etc maker.

I bet they (NEF Pardner pumps) end up as bad as general Taurus items, maybe worse (better have a lifetime warranty- 'cause they need it).
Fixed many a Taurus, new and used, even volume adjusted their failure rate due to QC, metallurgy and design issues is just too high.
Won't even touch one now if somebody wants to show it.

But but but, they're ISO certified?

Having worked for 20+ yrs in automotive manufacturing, I think I understand that game.

BTW, your assessment of my vehicle content is way the h*ll off.

Now if I needed to pound something on my old 4x4 I might borrow a Taurus or Chinese pump shotgun. But I bet they even suck as a temporary hammers.

If you like them, fine.

BTW, Big Green's Customer service and quality (IMNSHO) have dropped a bunch since going Cerberus.

pfev1980 01-02-2012 06:50 PM

About fifteen years ago when I was in high school I had a NEF single shot 12 gauge. Definitely the worst gun I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. It breached on its own with every shot, which I guess for some might be a feature rather than a defect...lol. It was also IMO cheaply made and occasionally just refused to fire. On the plus side, I think we got it for about a hundred bucks NIB. It's been years, but I still wouldn't buy another however cheap it was. The on I had I gave to a friend to take apart and play with.

dragunovsks 01-02-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfev1980
About fifteen years ago when I was in high school I had a NEF single shot 12 gauge. Definitely the worst gun I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. It breached on its own with every shot, which I guess for some might be a feature rather than a defect...lol. It was also IMO cheaply made and occasionally just refused to fire. On the plus side, I think we got it for about a hundred bucks NIB. It's been years, but I still wouldn't buy another however cheap it was. The on I had I gave to a friend to take apart and play with.

Sorry to hear that, i have two nefs, one is a 12 ga single shot with fully rifled bull barrel and scope and the other is a Protector pump with top folding stock. I love them.