Maverick 88 Safety Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Maverick 88 Safety Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Maverick 88 Safety Question

Hello all! I have a question about the (I don't know what it's called) "pump safety" on my Maverick 88. It's a pain to push with the thumb after each shot, and I'm wondering if it is necessary or if it can be "defeated" easily. I don't want to remove it if it is important for safety or the proper function of the firearm, but if I don't need it I would like to find a way to do without it. As I watch other people shooting their shotguns, I can't see that they are positioning their hands or the shotgun the way I would have to in order to engage the release. Anyway, it's just a little notch behind the safety button on the left side of the trigger group. I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Sorry I don't know the proper name!

Thanks for your help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

The bolt release should not have to be pushed after you shoot. If you have fired the bolt should be ready to cycle by pushing the pump directly to the rear. The bolt/slide release is there to allow cycling of the pump to clear ammo out of the chamber without needing to fire or pull the trigger. So sya you racked a round into the chamber but decided not to fire. You would push the release to get teh pump to go to the rear to eject the unfired round.

If you do fire a round you should be able to simply push the pump to the rear and cycle a fresh round in the chamber.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

This is not proper operation of this firearm, I actually love this shotty for all purpose and customization reasons, I've owned a few and this isn't correct. Have you completely disassembled the firearm, cleaned, inspected and then reassembled it lately? If you're not sure how I can help but I bet there's a video or two on it as well.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #4

I have taken it apart, but as I had another issue with this shotgun (elevator wouldn't free she'll from the tube and up into the chamber) I just need to try yet again and make sure everything is as it should be. So you are saying after I have fired it I shouldn't have to depress the button? If I just fill the tube and cycle it to empty everything (outside, safety precautions all taken), I have to press it after every shell. I had to last time I shot it, too.

Thanks for your help guys!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

yes, until the weapon is empty, think of it like a bolt hold open, or slide lock. at about 4:30 in this video, that's normal operation. http://youtu.be/Ua3rqT6kRSA

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:27 AM   #6

Thanks for the video! That dude could almost be my brother! Lol! Well, now I have taken it apart, oiled pretty good, and having watched that, I may be ok. I need to get some snap-caps for that next time I'm out. Thanks again!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Dan View Post
Thanks for the video! That dude could almost be my brother! Lol! Well, now I have taken it apart, oiled pretty good, and having watched that, I may be ok. I need to get some snap-caps for that next time I'm out. Thanks again!
We are all brothers, brothers in arms, I'd have helped you on the phone if you needed it. glad you figured it out.

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #8

I can't wait until Saturday. There are a hundred places around here to shoot rifles and handguns, but next to nowhere for shotguns. So I have drive out into the desert. I wish I could go today!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #9

I able to work around that by telling the range master at the rifle range that I was "Sighting in my slug gun for hunting this year" So I was able to sight in my shotgun shooting slugs in the rifle lanes, he said no problem. It might be a case of bird shot tearing up their wooden target backing.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #10

I just picked up my M88 from that has been in storage about 10 yrs w/ trigger lock on it, I had to have it sawed off. I feed 5 rounds in the mag to run them through ( never been fired) the first 3 ejected properly but the last 2 just didn't chamber and fell out the bottom. The mag spring seems to have low tension, so I figure that I need to replace it. Could anyone guide me w/replacement and where I can find a good one so I could keep it loaded? I keep my M500 4 in the mag one in the chamber but I would like to alternate. Thanks-home defense both 18" bbl pistol grip on 88 collapsible stock on USMC 500 thanks again all!

Last edited by Augustwestify; 10-10-2012 at 06:47 AM.