Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Maverick 88

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272 View Post
If you don't feel safe with buckshot or slugs in your shotgun you need something different for hone defense. If you are worried about shots passing through walls you need to use a high velocity round as they will stop in walls much quicker than most anything else
So what you are saying is it is like you would rather be T-boned in an intersection with a pick-up truck going 40 miles an hour as opposed to one that is going 25 miles per hour?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

if hes hoped on any kind of drug or alcohol he or she wont be very quiet. buts thats what i said if they so happen to attack shoot for self defense double tap to make sure they are down but if they are on a clear mind more than likely 9 times out of 10 they are going to think twice before they act when they have the home owner pointing a gun at them.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19575 Times on 11109 Posts
Likes Given: 49280

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMoeDown47 View Post
if hes hoped on any kind of drug or alcohol he or she wont be very quiet. buts thats what i said if they so happen to attack shoot for self defense double tap to make sure they are down but if they are on a clear mind more than likely 9 times out of 10 they are going to think twice before they act when they have the home owner pointing a gun at them.
and you're absolutely 100% sure about that statement?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

i spoke to a local judge and this the legal action and precautions should be taken.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19575 Times on 11109 Posts
Likes Given: 49280

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMoeDown47 View Post
i spoke to a local judge and this the legal action and precautions should be taken.
before taking the advice of the local judge, you might want to study up on the laws in your state regarding self defence shootings.

i seriously doubt that local judge is going to be going to bat for you if your were ever in the situation of using deadly force to defend yourself. just a suggestion.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

maybe your right i should! its always good to learn something new.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272 View Post
If you don't feel safe with buckshot or slugs in your shotgun you need something different for hone defense. If you are worried about shots passing through walls you need to use a high velocity round as they will stop in walls much quicker than most anything else
Sir, I would politely suggest you reconsider your advice concerning high velocity rounds being halted by dwelling walls. High velocity hollow points go through drywall (the primary building material used in interior walls) like it was butter, the cavity filling with gypsum therefore making an effective solid projectile. The studs the drywall is mounted on won't do much to deter a high-velocity bullet either; even the 850fps (approx.) of a .45 ACP is enough, given the weight of the projectile, to demolish most of the board. It usually causes a deflection of the bullet off to God-knows-where.
As an example of what a high-velocity round can do; I shoot a .22 TCM (40gr JHP in a necked-down .223 casing made by Armscor) that averages 2100 fps out of the 5" barrel of a 1911-type pistol. At 25-yards these little things dig big divots in the face of 3/8" steel plates because of their speed and the impact-energy that creates from even such a tiny projectile.
Please reconsider your information. Thank you.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

People Like This 
Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #18

Liked 1917 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 410

The high velocity projectile theory, seem sto be proven in a fe instances. But they must be light weight projectiles with thin jackets, with enough velocity to cause teh jacket to fail. Military and FBI tests indicate that for 5.56 projectiles the jacket failure velocity had to be in excess of 2450 FPS to get reliable fragmentation. From 2100-2300 FPS fragmentation could not be relied upon.

In shotgun rounds, bird shot generally makes a wide but shallow wound that will not reliably get to a depth to reach vitals and deep blood vessles, when shot into bare gelatin. Add clothing or light cover and penetration becomes less reliable. #4 BUCK SHOT (not to be confused with #4 bird shot) is where minimum penetration depths begin to be seen.

Now, would birdshot be enought to take the fight out of someone? Maybe. Will it penetrate less dry wall? Yep.

If a projectile has enough penetration ability to reliably get to the vitals of a clothed adult whiel hitting bone and possible light cover, it will also penetrate dry wall with enough energy to do harm to someone on the other side of the wall. Just facts.

I'm not going to argue with those who elect to use birdshot. Your choice.

I'll share a few links to some sites that helped me in deciding what I like to load in my own rifle, shotgun and handgun. Y'all can read it, look at the pictures, and come to your own conclusions. many will argue that FBI minimum penetration standards are not required. That's one opinion. Many will argue that the FBI minimum is indeed the minimum only, that's another take.

Here are some links you may find useful, or may find useless:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=176

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

This one is more on 5.56 and rifel ammo testing, but you can get an idea of where fragmentation works and doesn't work in certain scenarios. Also Dr. Gary K Roberts research in ballistics is pretty extensive, and if you google his name and ballistics you can find lots of useful articles.
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Again, not trying to start a fight or contradict someones choice, but sharing some facts adn tests that may help the OP in choosing what he wants to use in his Maverick, and shed some light on where the high velocity fragmentation theory comes from and what some of the limits are, from research that has been conducted.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #19

Liked 1917 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
So what you are saying is it is like you would rather be T-boned in an intersection with a pick-up truck going 40 miles an hour as opposed to one that is going 25 miles per hour?
He kind of left out the lighter weight and thinner skin, after barrier penetration. I'd rather have my car get hit with what is left of a smart car that hit a barrier at 80 mph than what comes through from a 1968 Galaxy 500 at 50 MPH.