Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Maverick 88 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/maverick-88-a-93401/)

cola490 07-05-2013 01:18 PM

Maverick 88

I just bought a Maverick 88 from Dick's, it's main purpose will be for HD. I am looking for advice on what type of loads would be best. I own a small townhouse, so the longest shot would about 25-30 feet. There are units on 2 sides, any suggestions would be great.

spottedpony 07-05-2013 01:31 PM

Bird shot. something like 4's or 6's. With the distances you're talking buckshot or slugs would pass through walls endangering neighbors.

FrontierTCB 07-05-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedpony
Bird shot. something like 4's or 6's. With the distances you're talking buckshot or slugs would pass through walls endangering neighbors.

Agreed. Buck or slug is almost irresponsible when family or neighbors are separated by only modern thin walls.

A lot of people think bird shot is not very effective on human targets, and they are correct at long ranges it is not. Unless you lived in a huge home where the BG could be more than 15 yards away from you the shot will not spread and remain very effective.

Look into some good high brass turkey loads for primary defense. I would also pick up some 00 or 1 buck shot and slugs as a last resort, but as stated I would have the bird shot loaded to shoot first.

edit: Whatever you chose make sure to shoot quite a bit of it to make sure it functions properly. You can get a large piece of cardboard and keep moving back to check out how it spreads.

juststartin5272 07-07-2013 11:09 PM

If you don't feel safe with buckshot or slugs in your shotgun you need something different for hone defense. If you are worried about shots passing through walls you need to use a high velocity round as they will stop in walls much quicker than most anything else

Axxe55 07-07-2013 11:43 PM

i use #4 birdshot in my shotguns for HD purposes. there will be detractors that say birdshot isn't effective or doesn't have enough power to kill. well, HogWash! it does. i have done informal tests on different materials at 10 yards and less. the longest possible shot within my home is less than 25 feet. at 10 yards and less, #4 birdshot will completely penetrate 1/2" plywood, two layers of 1/2" sheetrock and the quarter panel of an old car. all of which i believe to be more durable than the human body at the dame distance.

funny thing is the biggest and loudest detractors, are not willing to stand in front of a load of #4 birdshot at those distances, but will loudly proclaim it's not effective. hmmmmmmm...............:rolleyes:

now buckshot is a better choice than birdshot, but due to different circumstances, birdshot will work. it won't work as effectively as buckshot, but it will work.

readygirl 07-08-2013 12:20 AM

I alternate 00/slugs in my HD shotguns, but i live out in the boonies, 1/4 mile from the nearest house. But i hear guys in the shop talk about the turkey loads being good for close quarters.

tenwheeler 07-08-2013 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Birdshot is very effective at close range. The attached picture shows cardboard shot at 21 feet with #8 shot 2 3/4 inch Winchester loads. Shotgun was a Mossberg 500 that has been sawed off with no choke. The big holes were the holding point. Not only does this show to be effective at this range but if I had held in the center of this cardboard then all pellets would have easily stayed in the 12" x 12" target. I feel safe with this load for HD but I generally prefer #4 shot in my HD guns.

Attachment 109315

spottedpony 07-09-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juststartin5272 (Post 1297864)
If you don't feel safe with buckshot or slugs in your shotgun you need something different for hone defense. If you are worried about shots passing through walls you need to use a high velocity round as they will stop in walls much quicker than most anything else

With all due respect, its not about feeling safe with buckshot or slugs, its about whats most practical to safeguard innocent bystanders as much as possible. In the case of home defense, those innocent bystanders could well be your wife, children, guests or other family members. An intruder could well be in a location in your home that when shot at a missed slug or 00 buckshot that missed could penetrate that childs bedroom wall with disatrous results.
The same holds true in an apartment scenerio.
What are you going to do, ask the perp to move to a different location so you can safely shoot him?
While there are scenerios where a slug or buck can safely be used its certainly not in the confines of ones own home.

As for the high velocity round stopping in walls comment, THAT sounds like it comes from joe average homeowner who bought a gun for protection and had absolutely no knowledge of ballistics past what the guy at the big box store told him would make the best home defense ammo.

While velocity can sometimes be a factor, its more about projectile construction. particularly bullets designed for low penetration vs a solid point that gives deep penetration with expansion, or a solid point, such as an fmj that provides no penetration at all. Those bullets will easily go through two pieces of sheetrock and in many cases penetrate an innocent bystander as well.
Only such bullets as the glaser safty slug for example minimize the danger of overpenetration in residential structures.

For example years ago while still in law enforcement, my dept. did some ammo penetration tests on varous test materials, car fenders, windshields, home windows, simulated sheet rock walls, solid and hollow core doors, not only to determine the effectiveness of duty ammo we carried but how over effective it could be in a shoot/miss scenerio. While i could post pages of data regarding caliber, bullet style/velocities, penetration results of the various test media, to show my point, one test that was extremely surprising was with a .22 air rifle and a lead projectile weight of something like 15 grains at approximately 900 fps, fully penetrated a simulated sheet rock wall, that is 2 pieces of 1/2 inch sheet rock seperated by a standard 2 x 4. It did NOT however pass through a 3rd piece of sheetrock 6 inches behind the target "wall". but did penetrate far enough, had that been a human body it would have caused injury.
Conversly a .357 158 grain jacketed solid point at a nominal 1100 fps, passed through all 3 pieces of sheetrock into the safety berm behind the targets from a distance of about 30 feet, what we considered to be a maximum in the home shooting distance.

Thus my assessment stands, as stated, inside the home i'll stick with birdshot.

MajorMoeDown47 07-15-2013 12:19 AM

honestly i would not shoot. unless he has a weapon in hand but if sees that i have a gun in his face he will slow down and think about what he is doing and what did he get him self into. i would keep him at gun point until the police arrives. if hes shoots first then i have no choice but to defend if he attacks me with a melee weapon including a knife then defend your self. i live in apartment as well there is neihbors all around me. use low brass buckshot is preferd or #8 birdshot any shot from both in less than 25yards is very effective double tap to make sure he is down. hope this helps.

Axxe55 07-15-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorMoeDown47 (Post 1304476)
honestly i would not shoot. unless he has a weapon in hand but if sees that i have a gun in his face he will slow down and think about what he is doing and what did he get him self into. i would keep him at gun point until the police arrives. if hes shoots first then i have no choice but to defend if he attacks me with a melee weapon including a knife then defend your self. i live in apartment as well there is neihbors all around me. use low brass buckshot is preferd or #8 birdshot any shot from both in less than 25yards is very effective double tap to make sure he is down. hope this helps.

so what if he sees your shotgun, but is hopped up on meth and really doesn't comprehend the situation? how are you going to hold a drug crazed individual at gunpoint until the LEO's show up? some things you need to consider and think about.