maverick 88
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > maverick 88

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default maverick 88

My wonderful wife got me a mossberg maverick 88 last night. For my birthday, can't wait till Feb 7. Just wanting to know if any one knows any thing about it, its a 12 gauge. Thanks guys and gals.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanch
My wonderful wife got me a mossberg maverick 88 last night. For my birthday, can't wait till Feb 7. Just wanting to know if any one knows any thing about it, its a 12 gauge. Thanks guys and gals.
Its a pretty good gun but they are kinda finiky in the overall scheme of things.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Irony: is a form of utterance that postulates a double audience, consisting of one party that hearing shall hear & shall not understand, & another party that, when more is meant than meets the ear, is aware both of that more & of the outsiders' incomprehension.

Mav 88 has never sat well with me. I never really new why for sure. I found out on Monday when I was extinguishing some tree rats.
I shot of a couple combination rounds & darn near tore my rotator cuff. I have already ordered a new stock. I never thought I'd put money into a Mav maybe I'm a sucker for pain.

image-2819057398.png  

Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 244

They are decent reliable shotguns that, when properly maintained, will last you a lifetime.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1570 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 8004

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
They are decent reliable shotguns that, when properly maintained, will last you a lifetime.
Quoted for truth.

I got my maverick 88 when I was 17, and only had one issue with it in 18 years. It had the old single bar fore end, and it eventually got nicked and scratched. this caused a few hang ups during cycling. Easy fix wth a smithing stone and a reblue. 2 years ago, an ex girlfriend's son wanted to start hunting, but she could not afford a shotgun for him. I gave him that old Maverick, and he got his first deer with it this year. I know for a fact that he will get atleast another 20 years out of that shotgun, as he is as meticulous as I am when it comes to cleaning and maintanence.

The maverick 88 is a slightly less expensive version of the Mossberg 500, and as such, almost all of the parts are interchangable. The only part that is truely not interchangable is the triger group due to the top mounted Mossberg safety. Enjoy her as she will serve you well, if you take care of her.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got one that's, well, been around for so long I don't remember when I got it. Keep it clean and it always goes bang. Loaded with snakeshot - keep it in a cabinet in the shop near the door to the range - we've seen plenty of snakes out back. Nice gun.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got two of them and they are very dependable shotguns. Never a problem and they shoot any kind of ammo without a problem. My only advise to you would be to replace the stock recoil pad with a limbsaver pad. Mine are both 12ga and they can kick pretty hard, a softer recoil pad makes them much more enjoyable to shoot. Excellent home defense gun and all around shotgun. What length barrel did you get?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Bought one for my wife as a HD firearm while I was away from the house. She loves it and we have had no problems with it.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #9

picked one up at a gunshow cheap with a pistol grip and 19" barrel. I love it keep it loaded with buckshot and sitting beside my bed.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861