Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   maverick 88 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/maverick-88-a-56786/)

seanch 02-01-2012 06:07 PM

maverick 88

My wonderful wife got me a mossberg maverick 88 last night. For my birthday, can't wait till Feb 7. Just wanting to know if any one knows any thing about it, its a 12 gauge. Thanks guys and gals.

Marlinman 02-01-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanch
My wonderful wife got me a mossberg maverick 88 last night. For my birthday, can't wait till Feb 7. Just wanting to know if any one knows any thing about it, its a 12 gauge. Thanks guys and gals.

Its a pretty good gun but they are kinda finiky in the overall scheme of things.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

tellmaster207 02-01-2012 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Irony: is a form of utterance that postulates a double audience, consisting of one party that hearing shall hear & shall not understand, & another party that, when more is meant than meets the ear, is aware both of that more & of the outsiders' incomprehension.

Mav 88 has never sat well with me. I never really new why for sure. I found out on Monday when I was extinguishing some tree rats.
I shot of a couple combination rounds & darn near tore my rotator cuff. I have already ordered a new stock. I never thought I'd put money into a Mav maybe I'm a sucker for pain.

gmaster456 02-01-2012 08:18 PM

They are decent reliable shotguns that, when properly maintained, will last you a lifetime.

kfox75 02-01-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmaster456 (Post 696368)
They are decent reliable shotguns that, when properly maintained, will last you a lifetime.

Quoted for truth.

I got my maverick 88 when I was 17, and only had one issue with it in 18 years. It had the old single bar fore end, and it eventually got nicked and scratched. this caused a few hang ups during cycling. Easy fix wth a smithing stone and a reblue. 2 years ago, an ex girlfriend's son wanted to start hunting, but she could not afford a shotgun for him. I gave him that old Maverick, and he got his first deer with it this year. I know for a fact that he will get atleast another 20 years out of that shotgun, as he is as meticulous as I am when it comes to cleaning and maintanence.

The maverick 88 is a slightly less expensive version of the Mossberg 500, and as such, almost all of the parts are interchangable. The only part that is truely not interchangable is the triger group due to the top mounted Mossberg safety. Enjoy her as she will serve you well, if you take care of her.

Belltactical 02-01-2012 09:53 PM

I've got one that's, well, been around for so long I don't remember when I got it. Keep it clean and it always goes bang. Loaded with snakeshot - keep it in a cabinet in the shop near the door to the range - we've seen plenty of snakes out back. Nice gun.

Underdog 02-04-2012 12:26 AM

I've got two of them and they are very dependable shotguns. Never a problem and they shoot any kind of ammo without a problem. My only advise to you would be to replace the stock recoil pad with a limbsaver pad. Mine are both 12ga and they can kick pretty hard, a softer recoil pad makes them much more enjoyable to shoot. Excellent home defense gun and all around shotgun. What length barrel did you get?

Minionsram 02-04-2012 12:31 AM

Bought one for my wife as a HD firearm while I was away from the house. She loves it and we have had no problems with it.

murraywc 02-04-2012 12:56 AM

picked one up at a gunshow cheap with a pistol grip and 19" barrel. I love it keep it loaded with buckshot and sitting beside my bed.