Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   maverick 88 or 870 express (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/maverick-88-870-express-74757/)

unclebear 10-21-2012 04:07 AM

maverick 88 or 870 express

I know people have giant arguments over moss berg or Remington but I really don't want to start that back up again. I'm looking for a new hunting shotgun I already have a akkar 300 for HD but I was looking at prices on my local gun dealers web page and they have the maverick 88 for $205.10 I had an 870 and loved it but I really don't want to spend the money for a new one I've never had a mossberg. So what do y'all think? Is the gun worth the money or is it proned to major problems? :confused:

Axxe55 10-21-2012 05:01 AM

the Maverick M88 is a decent shotgun for the price. it's a Mossberg M500 basicly and is made by Mossberg. just an economy version of the M500. i have owned a couple and have had very good luck with them and would without a doubt buy another one. the current one i own is the 28" barreled, 5-shot hunting version. several hundreds of shells later that i have put through it, and i bought it used so i have no idea how many have been shot in it, it still performs very well.

the M870 is a very good shotgun also and one that has a proven track record just like the M500, another good shotgun. check out the pawn shops and gun stores as sometimes you can find some great deals on used guns as well. i bought my M88 at the gun store for $125 and it was in really good condition.

chuckusaret 10-21-2012 05:09 AM

I know several people that have the Mavrick 88 and are very happy with them. If it was me, I would go with the Mossberg 500 that is about $80 more than the Maverick.:D

kfox75 10-21-2012 07:58 AM

Unclebear. I would recomend both the M88 and the 870 as I have owned both. The Maverick 88 that I had was bought for me by my parente back when I was 16, (I saved the money and picked it out, they paid and picked it up the next day), and it proved to be a well built, reliable shotgun for the next 20+ years. The only issue I ever had with it was that it only had one action bar, and if your hand twisted while cycling it it wore down a little and caused the action to jam. The new M88 has 2 bars, so this has been corrected. It took 18 years of regular use for this to happen with mine, and it was a simple fix (smithing stone and a reblue) to make it cyclcle like new. In the time that I owned it, it did everything from trap and skeet to small and big game hunting. the only reason I got rid of it was that I shot a friends 870 after I went blind in my right eye and I am of smaller stature. Mossberg\Maverick puts the trigger slightly forward of the grip area of the stock when compared to the Remingtons trigger location. It was a better fit for my smaller hand and fingers ( just cant help that I'm only 5'7 to 5'9 depending on the CStore I'm leaving:p). He fell in love with the Maverick, and offered the Remington in trade so I swapped him on the spot. Currently I have 2 870s and a Mossberg 500 in the family's collection. All get used regularly, and all of them are in tip top shape.

IMHO you would not be disapointed with the 870 or the M88. Like I said, my M88 was my favorite for over 20 years, and my friend is still very happy with it now. He took his first turkey with it last year, and last deer season his son took his first deer with it (a nice little 4 pointer). He is already planning on handing it down to his son when he is done with it, maybe around his son's 40th birthday;) Get the one you like and enjoy it. You will have a well made firearm either way.

gmaster456 10-21-2012 02:03 PM

I'd rather have a mossberg, although the remington isn't a terrible gun. Especially if you get an older one.

GaryGlock 10-21-2012 02:46 PM

If you have the money id get a mossy.

HOSSFLY 10-21-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear (Post 984200)
I know people have giant arguments over moss berg or Remington but I really don't want to start that back up again. I'm looking for a new hunting shotgun I already have a akkar 300 for HD but I was looking at prices on my local gun dealers web page and they have the maverick 88 for $205.10 I had an 870 and loved it but I really don't want to spend the money for a new one I've never had a mossberg. So what do y'all think? Is the gun worth the money or is it proned to major problems? :confused:

Short answer is buy the 88 & shoot the snot outta it :)

unclebear 10-22-2012 02:46 AM

ok so is there any real difference between the 500 and maverick 88?

GaryGlock 10-22-2012 02:50 AM

I think its a little looser tolerances, forearm is a slightly cheaper feeling plastic. Safety location I believe? As long as your not throwing it around on the ground it should serve well..

kfox75 10-22-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear (Post 985192)
ok so is there any real difference between the 500 and maverick 88?

Only 2 that I know of.

1 The Mossberg's safety is on the rear top of the reciever, nice for right or left handed shooters. The Maverick's safety is on the front right of the trigger guard, giving it more of a nod towards the right handed shooter.

2 The Mossberg's forend is slipped over a metal tube, to which the action rods are welded, and it is retained by a spanner nut. The forend on the Maverick is attatched directly to the action bars with rivets, no inner steel tube to ride over the magazine tube.

Those are the only 2 differences between them. What it boils down to is that you can't swap the trigger groups, or the forends. Any aftermarket parts aside from the forends will fit on either shotgun. Hope this helps.