Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Shotgun Discussion (
-   -   Marine Magnum Internal upgrades to Police??? (

JBall 03-19-2013 04:51 PM

Marine Magnum Internal upgrades to Police???
Want to switch out the external parts in my 870 marine magnum so that its at least ghe dame as a 870MMP. Iknow the extractor to a Non-MIM is first and foremost. Where should I go from there? What other upgrades do the police models have?

Virginian 03-19-2013 11:55 PM

A heavier mag spring, which you get with any extended magazine, and a heavier carrier dog spring (I think I remember right), and a heavier sear spring. IMO all you need is the mag spring and the forged extractor. That's based on 38 years and zero issues with "normal" Wingmasters. I don't need a heavier trigger pull to be safe.

JBall 03-20-2013 02:14 AM

Certainly not worried about trigger pull being to light either. Aren't the Wingmasters built in the same clean room the same way as the police models?

Virginian 03-20-2013 04:04 AM

When I went thru the Remington factory I never saw any clean room. Guns don't need a clean room atmosphere anyway. If Purdey and Perazzi don't need it, Remington sure doesn't. The final finish on a Wingmaster is high polish. The Police models I have seen were either Parkerized or matte. The internal finish is about the same with the Parkerized Police Models. The matte models are about Express level with a few different parts. Under the skin an Express is the same gun as the Wingmaster. They save money on the finishing.

JBall 03-20-2013 11:13 AM

I know that the police models are constructed from CNC machined parts rather than MIM. Such as the extractor. Also I think carrier spring.