Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   making your own slugs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/making-your-own-slugs-32642/)

moneymaker17 10-05-2010 05:03 AM

making your own slugs

Hey, i wanted your input on making your own slugs out of bird shot, bacially buying 100 rounds and taking the birdshot out melting it, putting it into a slug form and putting it back in the gun. has anyone here done it?
should i attempt to do it?:o
saftey i should know about?
Thanks!

deathkricket 10-05-2010 05:32 AM

It will take a lot of heat and equipment to even begin to try that, not to mention the casting and all to ensure proper diameter and all, unless you already have everything you need, its not even worth trying. If your logic behind it is a hard slug unlike lead foster type slugs, there are many already out there for you to choose from and save you the trouble of buring your house down or blowing a gun up in your face, heres a few slugs that have very awsome penetration and are harder then your average slug.

Black Magic

DixieSlugs Home

Shotgun Accessory Mossberg 500 Accessories Winchester Rifle Folding Stocks

moneymaker17 10-05-2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathkricket (Post 363184)
It will take a lot of heat and equipment to even begin to try that, not to mention the casting and all to ensure proper diameter and all, unless you already have everything you need, its not even worth trying. If your logic behind it is a hard slug unlike lead foster type slugs, there are many already out there for you to choose from and save you the trouble of buring your house down or blowing a gun up in your face, heres a few slugs that have very awsome penetration and are harder then your average slug.

Black Magic

DixieSlugs Home

Shotgun Accessory Mossberg 500 Accessories Winchester Rifle Folding Stocks

im just talking about soft lead. just buying a cast iron pour thing:confused::confused: and heating up with a little propain torch.
since slugs are alot of money. well cheaper than birdshot

freefall 10-05-2010 05:58 AM

Buying slugs sounds cheap compared to what you're talking about.

deathkricket 10-05-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moneymaker17 (Post 363195)
im just talking about soft lead. just buying a cast iron pour thing:confused::confused: and heating up with a little propain torch.
since slugs are alot of money. well cheaper than birdshot

I guess if you already had all the equip for reloading, then you could just buy a slug cast (from where i have no idea) and cast your own, but in the end your just saving pennies on the doller after buying your primers and powder etc. i dont know if there is a cabella's where you live but they have really cheap slugs, like 2 to 3 bucks for a box of 5, bout the same as the generic military 00 buck. I have tryed to cast lead before and i will tell you this, it isnt as easy as TV makes it look, its a pain in the ass.

targetback 10-05-2010 09:29 AM

making your own slugs

I make my own, buy some slugs from balistic prod, and slugs are us , they all work , I also load sabots , You need very good guns with good barrels.pure lead with the lee mold works good and it comes with loading formulas. I have fun with it but also Carefull.

c3shooter 10-05-2010 09:30 AM

No. That's the short no.

No. There is more to reloading than melting shot, and stuffing it back into the shell. How will you reseal the shell? Notice that seal of a slug and a shot round are different? Most rifled slugs are hollow- for a reason. Slugs do not have shot cups- your birdshot load does. That is the long no.

BTW, I do cast some of my own bullets- but there is more to it than what you have described. No.

moneymaker17 10-05-2010 05:09 PM

moneymaker17 10-05-2010 05:13 PM

amoroque 10-05-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moneymaker17 (Post 363167)
Hey, i wanted your input on making your own slugs out of bird shot, bacially buying 100 rounds and taking the birdshot out melting it, putting it into a slug form and putting it back in the gun. has anyone here done it?
should i attempt to do it?:o
saftey i should know about?
Thanks!

Just my 2 cents here. If you're going to do anything with ammunition that goes bang 2-12 inches from your head, please do it right.

There is a right way to do this. The right way to do this would be to buy a reloading manual, a shot shell press and componets so that you are confident that what you are shooting is safe.

I would reccomed buying shotgun slugs until you are able to purchase the above.