Making my 500's action smoother
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Making my 500's action smoother

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default Making my 500's action smoother

My cruiser is a pretty good gun but about 30% of the time it takes a little more bicep to rack it back after firing. What part do I need to smoothen out to prevent that?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #2

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts

I don't have the time in with a 500, but I found that my 870 was doing that too... I put some Remoil on both of the slide arms and inside the tube that the foregrip wraps around. I then put a little in the receiver where the bolt seems to possibly make a little contact. Lastly, I gave a quick spritz of Remoil to the part of the receiver where the pump arms come in and slide. Now the darn thing just about glides... Much much better... I then oiled the outside with Hoppes as it is a thicker oil and adheres fairly well to prevent rust...

Old 06-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

If you want to get into gun smoothing, invest in a hard arkansas stone. If a stone looks like a sponge, it's too coarse. Use it with oil to knock off any burrs and to flatten out the high spots especially on the circled parts. The bolt slide is usually the worst. Then apply a good lube like Triflow or Breakfree.

Realize that what you are doing is applying years of wear in a few minutes. Moderation is called for. Just a few strokes to knock of the burrs is what you want. Resist the temptation to think that if three strokes is good, then ten is better and that 30 would be perfect. If you decide that 50 would be the "Ultimate" then you can turn new, unfired gun into a worn out, unfired gun in an hour.

Just a knock off the burrs and a few strokes on the shiny spots. That's all.