Magnum shotguns?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Magnum shotguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Magnum shotguns?

Hey all. So a while back I went trap shooting at a range I go to in PA. I was suprisingly good at it (considering I'd never done it before). Now I managed to find a trap & skeet range relatively close by so I tried it out and now I've really got the bug. (the fact that this range is only about 20 mins away as opposed to an hour 15 doesn't help either =P )

Anyway, I'm looking at shotguns again which I do every so often yearning for the day I'll actually have a license and the money for my first one. I already know what I want as my first (Remington 870 synthetic with 7 round mag), but while looking through the site my curiosity peaks on something.

Several of Remington's shotguns have "magnum" or "super magnum" in the name. I have a good enough understanding of what magnum means in terms of rifles and handguns, but what the hell is a magnum shotgun?

I'm trying to pick up what I can where I can, which includes coming on here every so often to find answers. Anyone who can clue me in to what a magnum shotgun is will be much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #2

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

My guess is that it either refers to the shell length...2 3/4", 3" or 3.5" with 3.5" being super magnum or its just a BS marketing gimmick to attract sales to the uber magnum shotgun. BTW, you don't need a magnum to bust a clay, target shot will work fine.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 AM   #3

Well I wasn't questioning the kind of ammution. I've been busting 'em up pretty well thus far and haven't been using anything special...just what they give me.

Is there anything special about "target shot" as opposed to, I guess buck and bird shot?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #4

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Nothing special, just refers to the smaller size loads, e.g. 7-9 or so. Buck shot is the other end of the spectrum with larger sized loads, 4 through 0000. Birdshot is in the middle and is the most varied due to the numerous game types,e.g. pheasant, turkey, duck, goose, etc.

In theory you could shoot trap or skeet with any load its just that the smaller loads keep tighter patterns at short distances and lose energy fairly quickly if you miss. That and they are a lot cheaper to shoot if you are doing 50 to 100 rounds in a day.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #5

[QUOTE=EnzoF660;218660]Anyway, I'm looking at shotguns again which I do every so often yearning for the day I'll actually have a license and the money for my first one.
Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly. If you live in Pa., you don't need a license to own a shotgun.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

You are a little vauge or Im a little dense (probably the later). Is it the shotgun you are asking about or the ammunition? A little mis-imformation has been posted above about trap ammunition. Trap shooting has very specific ammunition requirements. Most trap ranges, including ours has a 7 1/2 shot as the largest shot size allowable, also trap loads must have a velocity not in excess of 1200fps to be legal. While casual trap shooting with a "field" gun is good hunting practice, a true trap gun has very specific configuations. So are you looking for a hunting gun that you can trap shoot with or a true trap gun?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 AM   #7

for shotgun shells there are 3 basic lengths. 2 3/4 inches (normal) , 3 inches (magnum), and 3 1/2 inches (super magnum).

the size your gun is chambered for is on the barrel. most will shoot either 2 3/4 or 3 but not 3 1/2. some, like the barrel that came with my 870 express, will take all 3, but you need the "super mag" receiver to do the 3 1/2 inchers. i have the regular receiver so i can only shoot the first two. they do have a version of the 870 express called the "express magnum" that comes with the same barrel and an extra rifled slug barrel and has the "super mag receiver". which is identical to a normal receiver, just bigger to accommodate the larger shells.

so for shells it is like i said above and for shotguns the magnum or super magnum ones just have a barrel and receiver that can take those sizes.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 AM   #8

Well thank you to jbshoots for pretty much answering my question. I was asking about both the ammo and shotgun essentially, or basically the correlation between the magnum name on a shotgun and its potential ammo. I can understand if I wasn't too clear about that.

To Jimbobpissypants:
I forgot to mention, I live in Jersey. I just head out to PA every couple of months to go to that range I mentioned. I found a trap range closer to my home, though in NJ.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #9

Hopefully Jersey will pull their knickers out their buttcrack soon and lighten up on the gun restrictions.