Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Low-end $ double-barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Low-end $ double-barrels?

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the various double-barrels at the low end of the price range (say $700 or less) in a 20-gauge? I've been reading up on Remington Spartans, Stoeger Condors, and the Richard Dalys - but can't find reviews that allow you to compare recoil, accuracy, and reliability.

Also, would probably have it cut to fit a youth -which affects all of the above, right? So am I ahead to just get a youth model to start with? I think Stoeger is the only one that offers a youth version.

Any real-world advice would be a big help. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but still want a decent gun (don't we all [I'm looking for something for birds in the field, not skeet]

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if your near a Academy Sports and Outdoors (academy.com) look at the Yildiz, they run 459 for a SXS with beautiful walnut stocks, Auto ejectors, and barrel selector switch and come with 5 chokes.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip on Yildiz. I spent some time searching on it based on your advice. It is a BEAUTIFUL gun and based on some other discussion sites, the folks who own them seem to love them. So now I'm really interested . . .BUT there doesn't seem to be an Academy anywhere within 300 miles of me. . . it's always something, isn't it?

I'd prefer to buy from a small time local gun dealer instead of a 'big box' store, but they just don't seem to carry many sxs -- or o/u for that matter

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I'm going to spend some time searching for Yildiz now . ..

Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

were not a Big Box store lol we have less then 200 stores mainly in the southeast, were slowly moving north tho.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i have a stoeger 20 ga with 22" barrels, cost a little less than $400, not fancy but I like it. I like Savage 311s too, just to let you know what a high class guy I am...

Old 03-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #6

i have a stoeger condor in 12 ga and i absolutly love it.... sold my remington 870 20 ga for it

Old 03-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
GDS

M_B, sold a 870, I didn't know a person was allowed to do that!

M R, the Stoeger is good for a field gun, also look at Baikal. The side by side I have in 20 g. does well on the sporting clays and is very good for the birds.
Check this website www.activesportsman.com . They are giving away a gun as a door prize for their annual sporting clay shoot. Maybe could win one!

[I'm looking for something for birds in the field, not skeet]
Make a 870 to fit your youth.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #8

CZ bobwhite

Old 05-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Unless you can find a good used double gun with a cut stock, get the boy something like an 870 youth model. Cutting a stock on a double gun really hurts its value, even on a low-priced model; and double gun stocks are costly to replace. When his frame is large enough for a man-sized double, the 870 will make a good down-payment when you trade up.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8307 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

870 or Mossberg 500- or even an older High Standard Flite King. And no, they are not sxs. Get a spare stock, trim to fit youngster, keep original stock for when they are grown. Careful shopping, under $200.