Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Low-end $ double-barrels? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/low-end-double-barrels-3541/)

Muddy Run 03-02-2008 03:25 PM

Low-end $ double-barrels?

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the various double-barrels at the low end of the price range (say $700 or less) in a 20-gauge? I've been reading up on Remington Spartans, Stoeger Condors, and the Richard Dalys - but can't find reviews that allow you to compare recoil, accuracy, and reliability.

Also, would probably have it cut to fit a youth -which affects all of the above, right? So am I ahead to just get a youth model to start with? I think Stoeger is the only one that offers a youth version.

Any real-world advice would be a big help. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but still want a decent gun (don't we all ;) [I'm looking for something for birds in the field, not skeet]

Thanks!

Righteous 03-02-2008 04:47 PM

if your near a Academy Sports and Outdoors (academy.com) look at the Yildiz, they run 459 for a SXS with beautiful walnut stocks, Auto ejectors, and barrel selector switch and come with 5 chokes.

Muddy Run 03-03-2008 02:42 AM

Thanks for the tip on Yildiz. I spent some time searching on it based on your advice. It is a BEAUTIFUL gun and based on some other discussion sites, the folks who own them seem to love them. So now I'm really interested . . .BUT there doesn't seem to be an Academy anywhere within 300 miles of me. . . it's always something, isn't it?

I'd prefer to buy from a small time local gun dealer instead of a 'big box' store, but they just don't seem to carry many sxs -- or o/u for that matter

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I'm going to spend some time searching for Yildiz now . ..

Righteous 03-06-2008 11:46 AM

were not a Big Box store lol we have less then 200 stores mainly in the southeast, were slowly moving north tho.

freefall 03-10-2008 03:05 AM

i have a stoeger 20 ga with 22" barrels, cost a little less than $400, not fancy but I like it. I like Savage 311s too, just to let you know what a high class guy I am...

M_BRINSON 03-10-2008 03:58 PM

i have a stoeger condor in 12 ga and i absolutly love it.... sold my remington 870 20 ga for it

GDS 03-12-2008 03:23 AM

M_B, sold a 870, I didn't know a person was allowed to do that! :eek: :)

M R, the Stoeger is good for a field gun, also look at Baikal. The side by side I have in 20 g. does well on the sporting clays and is very good for the birds.
Check this website www.activesportsman.com . They are giving away a gun as a door prize for their annual sporting clay shoot. Maybe could win one!

[I'm looking for something for birds in the field, not skeet]
Make a 870 to fit your youth.

blakem 05-15-2008 12:26 AM

CZ bobwhite

ShotgunTom 05-15-2008 04:37 AM

Unless you can find a good used double gun with a cut stock, get the boy something like an 870 youth model. Cutting a stock on a double gun really hurts its value, even on a low-priced model; and double gun stocks are costly to replace. When his frame is large enough for a man-sized double, the 870 will make a good down-payment when you trade up.

c3shooter 05-15-2008 10:53 PM

870 or Mossberg 500- or even an older High Standard Flite King. And no, they are not sxs. Get a spare stock, trim to fit youngster, keep original stock for when they are grown. Careful shopping, under $200.