Love the 500, but should I buy the SXP instead? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Love the 500, but should I buy the SXP instead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvw3 View Post
I wouldn't buy any gun made in Turkey. They don't allow their own citizens to own many of the guns they produce in that country. Are they good guns? I don't care.

Get a Mossberg 500. You can't go wrong with this low cost American made shotgun.
You'd be hard pressed to come up with a convincing argument as to why the SXP is better than the Mossberg, so I'd go with the Mossberg for the reason above.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

If you're happy and familiar with the Mossberg then I don't see any reason to get anything different. That being said, there isn't any harm in trying something different. And you could do a lot worse than the SXP.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #13

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you think you will only buy one shotgun....ever....then buy one that has the best features and feel that you like. But when you buy a Mossberg, or the Remington 870 you can pretty much be assured that whatever you need for your gun will always be available, from several sources. And if and when your needs change, what you need will be available to facilitate that change. My 500 has been a clay gun, a home defense gun and a JIC gun. It's all there if you want it. That being said, My next shotgun just may be a Winchester SXP. The only purchase I am sure about is a larger safe.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all the replies. I'll always love the 500 and I will buy one eventually. Because of what my intentions for the gun are, I feel I will enjoy the smooth action and general feel of the SXP over the 500. My goal in this thread was to make sure there was no "Deal Breaking" reasons to NOT get the SXP. And so far I haven't heard anything. I love the safety on the 500 but most long guns have a safety like the SXP so it isn't really a downside.
Thanks again! Now if only tax season would hurry up and get here I could buy the dang thing

Old 11-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1604 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by znviper6 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'll always love the 500 and I will buy one eventually. Because of what my intentions for the gun are, I feel I will enjoy the smooth action and general feel of the SXP over the 500. My goal in this thread was to make sure there was no "Deal Breaking" reasons to NOT get the SXP. And so far I haven't heard anything. I love the safety on the 500 but most long guns have a safety like the SXP so it isn't really a downside.
Thanks again! Now if only tax season would hurry up and get here I could buy the dang thing
It's not how the gun feels out of the box. Pump shotguns break in, just like semi auto pistols. After 250 rounds there probably won't be an ounce of difference in the two guns. Mossberg hasn't sold 10 million 500's because they are junk shotguns.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have a Winchester SXP Defender model with the 18.5" barrel that i bought a couple of years ago. and so far after about 700-800 rounds later, it's still going great with not any problems. has digested everything i have fed it with not one issue to date.

i bought it mainly for a SD/HD shotgun, but it gets used as a knock around gun when i go to the woods.

yes it's made in Turkey, but seems to be very well made and solidly built. is it as good as a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870? well only time and more rounds later will be the teller of that. but so far, it's going great and works well for my needs and purposes.

Last edited by Axxe55; 11-29-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Try to find a used 1300 in the $200 range. I have a older 120 model 20g that is at the front of the safe for clays. But if buying new I'd get a Mossberg. American made, parts are available. I have a 870 express mint and I'd give it up for a mossberg 500 right now.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2741 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

If y'all need more convincing, let me give it a go;

The 1300/SXT is the strongest action made. Rotary bolt lock up to the barrel extension (something you AR shooters will understand).

Trigger group is the easiest and (IMHO) the best on the market. Shell stops are a part of the trigger group and come out as one unit.

Safety blocks the hammer like you AR. (the 870 and 500/590 block the trigger).

Spring loaded bolt/carrier makes for fast reloads.

AFAIK, all 1200/1300 parts and accessories interchange.

Yeah, Turkey is not the USA. Mexico is not the USA either. Many (if not most) 870 and 500 parts are made in Mexico. They are assembled in the USA. If you have a big problem with this, take your new SXT apart and (re)assemble it in the USA.

Turkey is one of our strongest allies in the middle east. They have been very cooperative in our war on terror

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 11-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1604 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If y'all need more convincing, let me give it a go;

The 1300/SXT is the strongest action made. Rotary bolt lock up to the barrel extension (something you AR shooters will understand).

Trigger group is the easiest and (IMHO) the best on the market. Shell stops are a part of the trigger group and come out as one unit.

Safety blocks the hammer like you AR. (the 870 and 500/590 block the trigger).

Spring loaded bolt/carrier makes for fast reloads.

AFAIK, all 1200/1300 parts and accessories interchange.

Yeah, Turkey is not the USA. Mexico is not the USA either. Many (if not most) 870 and 500 parts are made in Mexico. They are assembled in the USA. If you have a big problem with this, take your new SXT apart and (re)assemble it in the USA.

Turkey is one of our strongest allies in the middle east. They have been very cooperative in our war on terror
I am old enough to remember when the original model 12 was on the market. A few of my friends bought them. I got to shoot plenty of Model 12's. They were smooth shooting guns. They were inexpensive and they had a following. But both the 500 and the 870 out sold the Model 12.

I used to shoot an 870 until the express came along. Then the quality of Remington products across the board went downhill. So I was left with a Mossberg. I have run thousands of rounds through my Mossbergs. I have had one malfunction in all this time in my 20 ga. A shell popped out of the magazine before the shell carrier came down to catch it. That could have been my fault, I probably didn't push the shell all the way into the magazine. I have never been able to duplicate the malfunction. None of 12 ga shotguns have malfunctioned. I shoot a shotgun a lot more than your average shooter. I have worn out one Mossberg product. I shot a Westernfield shotgun so much the firing pin block wore out.

Shotguns are simple beasts. They don't need a rotary block to function well. They have been locking up well for millions of shots without a rotary block. You say the Winchester is the fastest gun on the market. I really doubt that it is any faster than any other pump on the market. I have shot both 870 and 500 shotguns so quick no one could count the shots. I am talking about aimed shots at doubles, not just shooting the gun in the air. How can the Winchester be any faster?

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-30-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
How can the Winchester be any faster?
Shorter stroke maybe?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA