Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Love the 500, but should I buy the SXP instead? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/love-500-but-should-i-buy-sxp-instead-100846/)

znviper6 11-26-2013 11:24 PM

Love the 500, but should I buy the SXP instead?

I've always loved the Mossberg 500....its a great gun that I have a lot of experience with since it was my father's favorite. I'm now in the market for a shotgun, mostly for grouse and occasionally duck hunting.
I would be very happy with a 500 and that's what I was going to get at first. Then I stopped by my local Gander MTN and held the Winchester SXP. And man did it feel good. The slide was like butter and it just felt right to me.

Is there any real reason I should not get the SXP over a 500? I know there isn't as much aftermarket support for the SXP but I really doubt ill do any modifying to it. I'm looking for cold hard facts. Thanks!

Virginian 11-27-2013 02:47 AM

The SXP is made in Turkey - not that there is anything wrong with that - and is FN/Winchester's third attempt to replace the venerable Model 12 with a gun with anywhere close to the appeal and durability. The Mossberg 500 trails only the Remington 870 among popularity of all the civilian arms ever made since the dawn of time. I prefer the feel of the Remington, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the 500. Jury is still out on the SXP.

znviper6 11-27-2013 03:59 PM

Glad to hear you've had god luck with yours Axxe. Im hoping to find myself an SXP that I can shoot before I buy one. If it shoots the way i'd like it to then i'll probably go with that. From what i've been reading people have been having good experiences. Eventually i'll still end up with a 500 in addition to the SXP :)

Argyle_Armoring 11-27-2013 04:21 PM

If you like Mossberg I would recommend the Mossberg 930. I've always been a Remington 870 guy until I shot my lieutenant's 930. I'm hooked!

Mercator 11-27-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znviper6 (Post 1441590)
I've always loved the Mossberg 500....its a great gun that I have a lot of experience with since it was my father's favorite. I'm now in the market for a shotgun, mostly for grouse and occasionally duck hunting.
I would be very happy with a 500 and that's what I was going to get at first. Then I stopped by my local Gander MTN and held the Winchester SXP. And man did it feel good. The slide was like butter and it just felt right to me.

Is there any real reason I should not get the SXP over a 500? I know there isn't as much aftermarket support for the SXP but I really doubt ill do any modifying to it. I'm looking for cold hard facts. Thanks!

Both are good choices. I think the SXP has been around long enough to tell. Reasons to choose the Moss: 1.Top slide safety 2. Parts are everywhere, including extra barrels 3.Made in the US. For the Win: 1.Smooth, well fit slide action 2.Cross trigger safety (if you like that)

Nothing will tell you like shouldering and dryfiring both, back to back if possible. There are intangibles such as pointing, balance, the buttpad feel, etc. I have never fired an SXP Defender, but I have owned an SX2, and would expect the same good quality. I'd go with the SXP today, that's my opinion.

orlando_marquez 11-27-2013 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If the SXP action is anywhere compared to the older 1300's.... its a great buy.

As far as 500's, I've heard great things about them from actual owners. Lots of products out there if you want to customize it.

Attachment 127471

JW357 11-27-2013 08:41 PM

OP,

I'd like to welcome you to the forum. Please swing by the Introduction area when you get the chance.

Good luck in your decision on the scattergun.

orangello 11-27-2013 08:58 PM

I really like the safety location on the Mossberg.

Whatever you do, don't buy it at GooseBump; support a local gun shop or order online to a local FFL.

robocop10mm 11-27-2013 08:59 PM

The SXP is the latest rendition of the 120/1200/1300/FNP. You will be hard pressed to find a faster stronger action ANYWHERE. If I were in the market for another pump shotgun this would be my first (and probably only) stop.

gvw3 11-28-2013 01:25 PM

I wouldn't buy any gun made in Turkey. They don't allow their own citizens to own many of the guns they produce in that country. Are they good guns? I don't care.

Get a Mossberg 500. You can't go wrong with this low cost American made shotgun.