Looking for some suggestions on what slugs to get - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Looking for some suggestions on what slugs to get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 555 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Rule of thumb- either the barrel or the slug may be rifled, but not both.

Smoothbore barrel, rifled slug.

Rifled barrel, sabot slug.

Despite rumors to the contrary, rifled slugs do not spin from the rifling on the surface- THAT exists to make sure they will pass thru a choke safely. They are stable due to weight forward, and the skirt giving a little drag. Drop an orange into a sweat sock, throw sock, will travel orange first, sock trailing behind. Same idea.

Slugs CAN be fired thru a choked barrel- two exceptions. First do not try this with the scarce Extra Full choke used by some turkey hunters. Bad ju-ju. Second, some of the early adjustable chokes had little steel fingers that were squeezed or not squeezed together by a collet. Little fingers can break off. Modified gives best accuracy in MOST guns- YMMV.

A 1 oz slug has about 2538 ft lbs of muzzle energy- comparable to a .308. They are best limited to 100 yards or less- poor ballistic coefficient and low velocity give a trajectory like a rainbow beyond about 100 yds.
Brenneke can be shot through both, is NOT a sabot, and is rifled ( the "fins" flatten in a rifled barrel)
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/h_products.html
This brand has been my choice for 15 years. the model I prefer is Black Magic

Last edited by artbrownsr; 08-12-2014 at 06:17 AM.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #22

Liked 555 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 652

I am a shameless plug
for the Brenneke slug
But read this stuff then consider that the troopers and game folks (Edit):in Alaska; almost exclusively use Brenneke usually Classic Magnum
if you go to the sight that is on my previous post you can choose the ammo and look at the ballistics posted.

While many slug manufacturers compromise on either aerodynamics or knockdown power, the distinctive design of the Original Brenneke slug maximizes both. The weight-forward rounded nose, deep ribs and patented wad design allow tight groups, even at long ranges.

Smoothbores sing with Brenneke, with four different cartridges available in three different gauges. Superior sectional density and ballistic coefficients produce exceptional power. Five-shot groups of under two inches at 60 yards are not uncommon, and the retained energy of our magnum loads make them true 100 yard slugs.

Rifled barrels respond brilliantly to our specially designed 12 and 20 gauge loads. Stopping power is unequaled, and groups under 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards and under 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards provide accuracy approaching that of a centerfire rifle.

The massive frontal area of the slug delivers every ounce of energy to the target. There is no disintegration and virtually no deformation. Penetration, even in smaller gauges, is exceptional. You cannot buy a better shotgun slug than Original Brenneke, for any amount of money.

Last edited by artbrownsr; 08-12-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1592 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 1727

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
I am a shameless plug
for the Brenneke slug
But read this stuff then consider that the troopers and game folks almost exclusively use Brenneke usually Classic Magnum
if you go to the sight that is on my previous post you can choose the ammo and look at the ballistics posted.

While many slug manufacturers compromise on either aerodynamics or knockdown power, the distinctive design of the Original Brenneke slug maximizes both. The weight-forward rounded nose, deep ribs and patented wad design allow tight groups, even at long ranges.

Smoothbores sing with Brenneke, with four different cartridges available in three different gauges. Superior sectional density and ballistic coefficients produce exceptional power. Five-shot groups of under two inches at 60 yards are not uncommon, and the retained energy of our magnum loads make them true 100 yard slugs.

Rifled barrels respond brilliantly to our specially designed 12 and 20 gauge loads. Stopping power is unequaled, and groups under 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards and under 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards provide accuracy approaching that of a centerfire rifle.

The massive frontal area of the slug delivers every ounce of energy to the target. There is no disintegration and virtually no deformation. Penetration, even in smaller gauges, is exceptional. You cannot buy a better shotgun slug than Original Brenneke, for any amount of money.
I use both Brenneke & Foster, and you can get a box of five for 6 or 7 bucks !................
Old 08-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #24

Liked 210 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Brenneke makes both Foster type slugs that can be shot in smooth barrels and sabot type ones that should only be used in rifled barrels. I have never owned a shotgun barrel that was rifled but that would be the most accurate set up. I have shot many whitetails and a couple of black bear when I was younger with the Brenneke Foster type slug and they were very effective and plenty accurate. Next most effective set up after a rifled barrel/sabot slug would be to get a screw in choke for your smoothbore barrel that has rifling in it, this will give the slug some spin as it leaves the muzzle. I doubt that shooting a "rifled" slug like the standard Fosters in a smooth bore imparts much ( if any ) spin on the slug, but they can still be accurate enough for big game at reasonable ranges.
My 870 Tactical comes with a front rifle sight and an XS peep in the rear, and while sighting it in at 100 yards, the smoothbore barrel w/ cylinder choke, shooting Remington Buckhammer and Federal Maximum slugs, were getting consistent 4 inch groups. If your shotgun just had a simple brass bead for sighting, it would not be able to group that well. One of the cantilever rifled barrels using a low power scope or red dot would be able to turn in some very good groups. The limiting factor as far as range is probably going to be the slug's rapid loss in velocity and looping trajectory, not lack of accuracy. I live where I can use just about anything to hunt the big river bottom whitetails we have here in Montana, so I'm probably not going to invest in a fully rifled barrel for my 870, but might pick up one of the rifled choke tubes to try out.