Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Looking for some advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/looking-some-advice-45424/)

Graves 07-18-2011 04:01 PM

Looking for some advice

I just bought my first Shotgun, a Mossberg 500ag 12 gauge with a 28 inch barrel

I don't know much about firearms, I was raised in NZ by anti-gun parents. If any of you can help me out i'd appreciate it.

Some questions to start;

What kind of ammunition should I keep in my home for self-defense? Right now I just have 5 rounds of 12 ga. Birdshot left over from the range.

What should I do to keep it clean and maintained?

One last thing, it says that it's chambered for 2 3/4 - 3 inch shells yet the rounds I have say 3 1/4 on them, should I not fire these?

Here are a couple of pictures

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...o/100_1090.jpg
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...o/100_1093.jpg

Snakedriver 07-18-2011 04:18 PM

I have the 20 ga. version of that gun and it's awesomely accurate and has served me well for many years.

I've never heard of 3 1/4" 12 ga. shell, but no I wouldn't shoot them in your new Mossberg.

For home defense use, get some 12 ga. 2 3/4" 00 buckshot rounds and you'll be good to go. Bird shot is just that, for the birds. The 00 buck can be bought pretty much everyehere for $3 - $5 per box of 5 rounds.

For cleaning get a 12 ga. swab and run it through the barrel a couple of times after shooting and keep the gun lightly oiled and you'll be good to go. Shotguns don't require extensive maintenance.

hiwall 07-18-2011 04:36 PM

The 3 1/4 on your shells might relate to the powder charge and not the length. Everyone has their own opinion on what are the best loads to use. A long shot inside of your home might be 15 feet. At that range any 12 gauge round is lethal but heavier may be better. I see you live in GA so a thin coat of most any oil inside and out should do you fine. Check it every few weeks for any rust.

Graves 07-18-2011 05:49 PM

Thanks for the responses.

The 3 1/4 on the shell might mean something else, I did put about 20 of them down range the day I got it and nothing happened.

And yeah I couldn't believe how accurate this is, i was putting holes exactly where I wanted them and I was barely aiming. I've had one firearm before this, a 357. Charter arms target bulldog and I wasn't very accurate with it.

I'll look for 00 buckshot tonight, will walmart sell it?

Graves 07-18-2011 05:52 PM

Another thing, I shot 6 boxes (150 shells) the day I got it, the next day my arm hurt, not badly but in an annoying way.

Is there some sort of jacket I can wear when shooting?

Graves 07-18-2011 06:15 PM

Do you think this shotgun has more kick than an AK47?

mesinge2 07-18-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graves (Post 544689)
Another thing, I shot 6 boxes (150 shells) the day I got it, the next day my arm hurt, not badly but in an annoying way.

Is there some sort of jacket I can wear when shooting?

Anything here should help you out: Hunting Gear - Shop Hunting Equipment & Supplies at MidwayUSA

Snakedriver 07-18-2011 06:23 PM

Yes Walmart will have 12 ga. 00 buck rounds. They come in boxes of 5 and they keep them in the case with the handgun / rifle ammo.

Yes a 12 ga. will kick more than an AK. The AK's use the recoil to operate the action and thus uses up some of the kick, but not so for a 12 ga. pump. 150 rounds of 12 ga. would make anybody sore. :D

Sniper03 07-18-2011 06:32 PM

Graves,

To begin with the shell is probably marked 3 1/4 Drams of Powder?
I have never seen a 12ga Shell 3 1/4 inch. What brand ammunition is it!
Even at close range bird shot is deadly and devastating. The reason is for example inside of 7 yards the wad does not have time to open and holds most all of the bird shot in the Wad. Go out and try it on a target, you will see with one round! However for in home protection the load must be carefully reviewed. Like were could I fire safely and in what direction without hurting any family members as the projectiles penetrated inside walls. 00 Buck will actualy penetrate 3 complete walls of double sided drywall very easily if not hitting the target. You must think about that ahead of time and have it in your mind. 00 Buck is good defense load as well as #4 Buck. #2 Standard Shot or BB Shot would be another option. All are deadly at close indoor or close range.

To take care of your Model 500 which is a good shotgun by the way. Learn to remove the barrel for complete cleaning. Be sure to get the Magazine Cap and Barrel Screw tight after cleaning. Wire Bore Brush will remove led residue. Followed by a 12ga cleaning patch with Solvent on it run until clean. Then get some good gun lubricant and run a wet patch through the bore to assure it is well lubed. Also be sure and lube the outside of the shotgun. It should look a little wet or damp when finished this will prevent rust.

Graves 07-18-2011 08:24 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm double reading everything.