looking for a shotgun in the $300 range - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > looking for a shotgun in the $300 range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
(Disclaimer) This MY OPINION ONLY..... but I've had good luck on Gunbroker.com. Two years ago I picked up a 1968 High Standard Flite King in 12ga for $250 (+$30 shipping and $20 for FFL transfer)... and it has become one of the best firearms I have ever owned. It obviously was someone's baby and in really good condition. It came from the days when you could go to the local Sears or Western Auto and buy an American made solid firearm (WHAT the hell has happened to us ????).... so it's a touchstone to a bygone era as well (incert weeping face icon here).

When looking for an old shotgun of this vintage... I recommend a Stevens 67, JC Higgens, High Standard Flite King (pump models only... stay away from the semi autos... they are faulty in the feeding & jam) and any Remmy 870 from previous to '96
I was given a JC Higgins Model 20 Pump-action 12 ga. in great condition a couple years ago. It shoots great and the action is still pretty slick.

I checked the production number on the barrel and found out it was made in August of 1947 - not bad for a gun from Sears (I'm not sayin' - I'm just sayin').
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #32

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
(Disclaimer) This MY OPINION ONLY..... but I've had good luck on Gunbroker.com. Two years ago I picked up a 1968 High Standard Flite King in 12ga for $250 (+$30 shipping and $20 for FFL transfer)... and it has become one of the best firearms I have ever owned. It obviously was someone's baby and in really good condition. It came from the days when you could go to the local Sears or Western Auto and buy an American made solid firearm (WHAT the hell has happened to us ????).... so it's a touchstone to a bygone era as well (incert weeping face icon here).

When looking for an old shotgun of this vintage... I recommend a Stevens 67, JC Higgens, High Standard Flite King (pump models only... stay away from the semi autos... they are faulty in the feeding & jam) and any Remmy 870 from previous to '96
While I would disagree with your statements on semi-autos and 870s, I had to smile when I saw the Stevens Model 67 mentioned. I bought one after college when I needed a reliable pump gun that would work and shoot straight and the Mossberg I had previously had would not. I killed quite a few pheasants with that gun, and have to say it was easy to shoot well. Until I found my Model 12, it was my hunting shotgun. I sold it a few years ago and since have been questioning that decision.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #33

Liked 781 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7X57Mauser View Post
I sold it a few years ago and since have been questioning that decision.
We all have that one that got away.... For me it was my '93 Remington 1100 in 20ga. Smoothest shotgun I've ever held, shouldered & shot.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #34

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Get an 870

Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #35
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1610 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7X57Mauser View Post
Ok haters, let me put it this way to you. My statements of OPINION are based upon my EXPERIENCES, not BS I read on the interweb somewhere. Both shotguns, and a few others are currently fielded by the US military. I have owned Mossbergs, and the cast and drop did not suit me, nor could I get it adjusted to fit me correctly. As I grew up with an 870 in hand, the Mossbergs I have owned and handled (12's, 20's, and a 410) did not work or handle as well. When my cheap brother-in-law's cheap Maverick had an action bar fail, I decided I would not have any more 870s. You can pipe off with all your BS, but I KNOW my 870s WORK and will continue to do so.
All that said, my pheasant gun is a Model 12, and I'd give you my truck before I give it up.
Quick Question. Why would the failure of your BIL's Maverick 88 turn you away from a Remington 870? If anything, I would figure it would sour you to the M 500, given the fact that Mavericks are made by Mossberg.

I had a Maverick 88 for about 20 years, and never had a problem with it. The only reason I no longer have it is that a friend's son needed a shotgun to start hunting a few years ago, and his parents were flat broke at the time. I gave them one of the best shotguns I have ever owned so he could take his son with him, and pass the tradition of hunting to the next generation. I have a lot of memories tied to that shotgun, from successful rabbit hunts with the beagle that passed on 11 years ago, to the first time that I shot a bigger deer than my dad did. or the time that I saw him miss the same doe with ALL 5 shots in his 5500 and I nailed it at a full run at 30 yards ( He had been doing his qualification at the range 2 days earlier using an M-16, and he forgot to drop down to the comb.).

My point is this. Just because you had a problem with one gun from a certain maker, that doesn't make all of that brand's products crap. Sometimes a lemon will show up in a bag of oranges. when that happens, don't throw out the bag and swear of (or at) Sunkist. Use that lemon to make lemonade, and check the next bag a little more closely when you go out to buy one.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

axxe55 Likes This