Looking for shot shell vs bbl construction advice for Mossberg - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Looking for shot shell vs bbl construction advice for Mossberg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

The "Teeth" are for biting into the wood of a door so a frangible slug (AKA Avon Round) can be fired into the hinge or latch mechanism of a door alloing it to be opened more easily (See the movie "The Final Option"). They look "tacticool", but serve little or no purpose for non-LE entry teams.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Right, I agree, something that would serve little purpose for my self. This choke in particular came up in a search for double 00 and rifled slug choke tubes. I like components that can serve multiple purposes.

I'm beginning to get into more shooting, and my children are beginning to shoot as well, my daughter wants to shoot competitively, which is why I'm trying to sort all this out.

But I guess if its not broke...

Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
lol! I'll keep one layin around in case I run out of ammo!

Well, Deth... So lets say a cylinder bore, as the new Mossies I'm looking at are equiped, paired with a rifled slug, like winchester super x, 1600 fps, what change may need to be made to the choke? Did a little more digging before posting this and looks as if a breaching choke tube can work well with slugs and double 00 buck, a full choke used with cylinder bore... I know only pattering can tell for sure.

I do appreciate the info, it helps me to refine my searches, and things I'm reading are becoming familiar.

Thanks folks!

brad.
if your looking to shoot slugs and buck, cyl bore is perfect. if you plan on going turkey hunting, it aint gonna come close to what you need. it will also pattern way too wide with game loads for things like squirrel and rabbit too. you shouldnt be too bad on things like phesant and quail though.

on the other end of the spectrum, with a full choke, id be weary of shooting most slugs. even if the design of a certain slug will work with a highly constricted choke, its still going to increase the recoil of the round tremendously.

you are really not going to be able to do all that you want with one set choice. if you wan to do it all, youll prob be looking for either a changeable choke, or a set of different bbls.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

id say invest in barrels instead of chokes the reason is barrel length youll want different lengths for different apps

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 03-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #15

Thanks for all the info and advice! I think I've decided on the set up I'm going to go with!