Looking for shot shell vs bbl construction advice for Mossberg

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Looking for shot shell vs bbl construction advice for Mossberg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for shot shell vs bbl construction advice for Mossberg

Mornin folks.

I have a 500, and am looking to add a 590 (heavy wall maybe) or a 930.

I typically use win superx heavy game loads for critters, and win AA high velocity (1250 fps) target loads for general target shooting and as my HD round. I have some federal shells but use those far less often. Either way, the loads pattern very well @ 25 yds, no issues there.

Heres the question portion;

My 500 is a standard Mossberg persuader bbl. I'm adding either the 590 or 930, either way would be a spec pupose. But for slug rounds, like Hornady for example, @ nearly 2000 fps, is the heavy wall bbl needed? How much charge is "too much" for a standard bbl? The 590a1 all have a heavy wall bbl., but how necessary is it, when does it become necessary?

I never did have a manual for my 500, so I really dont know how much noise is too much through the standard bbl, and if I need to consider the heavy wall bbl before going to a higher velocity shell.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

The Hornaday slugs are sabot slugs. That is why the velocity is so high. You must use a fully rifled barrel to shoot these accurately.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #3

Ahhh! That explains it, thanks!

So for slugs maybe something like Winchester Ranger shells? I've also heard double 00 buck may be too much for a standard bbl?

I havent tried slugs yet at all, and would like to see what kind of range I can get. Also my goal in this is to get more info before I decide on another shotgun, so I appreciate any advice. My experience is pretty limited to point and shoot...

Last edited by Rossignol; 03-17-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I don't know who is feeding you information but they are either stupid or ill-informed. All major ammo and gun manufacturers are members of a coalition called SAAMI. The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute. They set and agree upon dimensional and pressure standards for the ammunition used in civilian firearms. Winchester ammo will be safe in Mossberg shotguns, period. OO buck has no more pressure than #4 buck which has the same pressure limits of any other ammo in that gauge/caliber.

The main thing you need to understand in shotguns is shell length. If your shotgun has a 3" chamber it can safely shoot any ammo that is 3" or SHORTER! You cannot shoot 3 1/2" shells. They can develop unsafe pressures in a 3" chamber. DO NOT go by whether the ammo "will fit" as the shell length is measured AFTER firing. A 3" loaded round "will fit" in a 2 3/4" chamber but will not have sufficient room to open up on firing and allow the shot to pass through the barrel unobstructed. A 3" shell fired in a 2 3/4" only chamber WILL develop higher than allowable pressures.

Thus ending your first lesson in shotgun ammunition.

Robo.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #5

Alrighty then! That clears up much, thank you! So that begs the next question, for me anyway. What then is the need of the heavy barrel? Sounds like I will have no need of one... But dont know why it is commercially available.

Time to start pattering some new ammo!

ST Leathercraft on FaceBook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf#!/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf

Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #6

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
What then is the need of the heavy barrel? Sounds like I will have no need of one... But dont know why it is commercially available.
Should work well for hitting something over the head with.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #7

the 590 has a heavier bbl and tube for the occasions when you chose to use that bayonet lug on it for more than looking pretty.

while robo is 100% correct in the fact that bbl thickness has nothing to do with it, depending on what type of slug you want to use, choke selection may come into teh equation.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Should work well for hitting something over the head with.
lol! I'll keep one layin around in case I run out of ammo!

Well, Deth... So lets say a cylinder bore, as the new Mossies I'm looking at are equiped, paired with a rifled slug, like winchester super x, 1600 fps, what change may need to be made to the choke? Did a little more digging before posting this and looks as if a breaching choke tube can work well with slugs and double 00 buck, a full choke used with cylinder bore... I know only pattering can tell for sure.

I do appreciate the info, it helps me to refine my searches, and things I'm reading are becoming familiar.

Thanks folks!

brad.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf#!/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf

Last edited by Rossignol; 03-18-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

A heavy barrel might be useful for serious accuracy work with sabot slugs (if the barrel is fully rifled). A breaching choke tube is one that vents excess gasses when the muzzle is in contact with the target (breaching a door). It should have nothing to do with "choke". It simply screw in to the threaded muzzle like any other choke tube and extends several inches beyond the muzzle. It will have numerous holes or slots that vent off the excess gasses. A full choke would be counter productive with many "breaching rounds" as they are highly frangible and would likely start to break up prematurely and not penetrate the door/hinge/lock.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #10

Thanks for the heavy barrel info. Probably not what I'll be doing, I can wait for a target that is in range, and on 15 acres, I really dont need a 200 yd. shot anyway.

Heres what I was lookin at;

This is the description, 5th one down the page.

Trulock Chokes (photos descriptions)- choke tubes for mossberg, remington, winchester, beretta, benelli products, and other brands

Now as far as what this is saying, it eliminates the need to change muzzle devices when alternating ammunition. Hence some of my confusion over cylinder bore - choke tube - double00, cylinder bore - choke tube- rifled slugs. Really I'm looking for something to do both, and this seem to fit the bill.