Looking for a Semi Auto Shotgun for my wife
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Looking for a Semi Auto Shotgun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Looking for a Semi Auto Shotgun for my wife

Gents, I'm looking for some opinions on semi-auto shotguns. I'm looking for this gun for my wife. Main purpose is skeet/trap shooting maybe an occational pheasant season. Needs to be 20 ga. and lets try to keep it under $500.00. Thanks guys for your help.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For under 500$ you may need to scout for used Remington 1100s. I have a 20ga 1100 I bought about 15yrs ago for 400$, one of my favorite shotguns. Also you may want to look at youth models, they seem to fit most women better then the full size models.

Badshot

Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Look into weatherby.... I got the SA-08 for my girlfriend in 20ga youth and she loves it... Never complains once about her shoulder hurting... It's gas operated so it's good on recoil...

If she can stand a 12ga get that one.. The barrel is a bit short at 24" for trap on the youth model.. I'm having trouble finding a new one that is longer..

I paid 499.99 at my LGS for it.. 12 ga I think in 100 bucks more..

Old 08-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #4

They make the 20ga full size.. Stick with that one as long as it fits her.. The lop is 14.5" on the full size I think.. 1" shorter on the youth..

Ohh btw the gun is only 6lbs!!!

Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

How old is she, for starters, please and I'll let you know what I'm willing to trade. Pics?

Old 08-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
How old is she, for starters, please and I'll let you know what I'm willing to trade. Pics?
You offering me a trade? In confused...

Old 08-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1

You offering me a trade? In confused...
no he's offering me a trade. But it'll take more then a 20 gauge got any Black rifles and 1911's

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #8

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I would say a Remington 1100. I have shot 1 it was my dads. Dam good shotgun. My mom loves it, she's killed a few pit bulls with it way back.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Those damn pitbulls, its becoming a real problem. WTF is that supposed to mean? I have a pitbull that attacks anything that involves a pillow or heat/ac register. This has been brought up on another thread im sure but WTF is that supposed to mean?

Badshot

Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #10

Liked 158 Times on 119 Posts

Back ON topic, I also recommend a Remington LT-20. Widely available used and Youth stocks pop up all the time on eBay and other places as kids get bigger. I have started several ladies and youngsters - including two daughters - with mine, with overall excellent results. I have an LT-20 Magnum, but with two extra barrels and an extra stock or three it's a real go to gun. There are other good gas autos available, including Berettas, that are available, but many have aluminum receivers and don't tame recoil as well, and none are as widely available used in excellent condition as an 1100.
Pit Bulls have, like it or not, become favorites of dog fighters and wanna be tough guys and thugs, and they want a mean dog. Think it enhances their image. And so every time you turn around you read where some Pit Bull mauled a kid. Probably happens with every breed, even Labs, and lots of times the kid probably deserved that and more, but the news people are going to jump right on any Pit Bull story. Like a traffic accident fatality versus a shooting. I think a large portion of the Pit Bull gene pool has been screwed up by the bad guys, and I wouldn't have one, but if you love yours I can understand that too. My cousin is one of the great Pit Bull champions, but she about had a fit when her son was looking to get one around her two little grand kids. Hypocrisy of the highest order. I told her to tell him to get a small dog so when it inevitably bites one of the little spoiled brats it will leave a smaller scar.

What could have happened... did.