Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Looking for a Semi Auto Shotgun for my wife (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/looking-semi-auto-shotgun-my-wife-70452/)

Wiseman3 08-16-2012 04:43 AM

Looking for a Semi Auto Shotgun for my wife

Gents, I'm looking for some opinions on semi-auto shotguns. I'm looking for this gun for my wife. Main purpose is skeet/trap shooting maybe an occational pheasant season. Needs to be 20 ga. and lets try to keep it under $500.00. Thanks guys for your help. :cool:

Badshot320 08-16-2012 05:13 AM

For under 500$ you may need to scout for used Remington 1100s. I have a 20ga 1100 I bought about 15yrs ago for 400$, one of my favorite shotguns. Also you may want to look at youth models, they seem to fit most women better then the full size models.

Badshot

hockeyjr1 08-16-2012 05:43 AM

Look into weatherby.... I got the SA-08 for my girlfriend in 20ga youth and she loves it... Never complains once about her shoulder hurting... It's gas operated so it's good on recoil...

If she can stand a 12ga get that one.. The barrel is a bit short at 24" for trap on the youth model.. I'm having trouble finding a new one that is longer..

I paid 499.99 at my LGS for it.. 12 ga I think in 100 bucks more..

hockeyjr1 08-16-2012 05:47 AM

They make the 20ga full size.. Stick with that one as long as it fits her.. The lop is 14.5" on the full size I think.. 1" shorter on the youth..

Ohh btw the gun is only 6lbs!!!

HockaLouis 08-17-2012 12:56 AM

How old is she, for starters, please and I'll let you know what I'm willing to trade. Pics?

hockeyjr1 08-17-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis
How old is she, for starters, please and I'll let you know what I'm willing to trade. Pics?

You offering me a trade? In confused...

Wiseman3 08-17-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1

You offering me a trade? In confused...

no he's offering me a trade. But it'll take more then a 20 gauge got any Black rifles and 1911's :p

Big-Nasty 08-17-2012 04:56 AM

I would say a Remington 1100. I have shot 1 it was my dads. Dam good shotgun. My mom loves it, she's killed a few pit bulls with it way back.

Badshot320 08-17-2012 05:28 AM

Those damn pitbulls, its becoming a real problem. WTF is that supposed to mean? I have a pitbull that attacks anything that involves a pillow or heat/ac register. This has been brought up on another thread im sure but WTF is that supposed to mean?

Badshot

Virginian 08-17-2012 10:35 AM

Back ON topic, I also recommend a Remington LT-20. Widely available used and Youth stocks pop up all the time on eBay and other places as kids get bigger. I have started several ladies and youngsters - including two daughters - with mine, with overall excellent results. I have an LT-20 Magnum, but with two extra barrels and an extra stock or three it's a real go to gun.:) There are other good gas autos available, including Berettas, that are available, but many have aluminum receivers and don't tame recoil as well, and none are as widely available used in excellent condition as an 1100.
Pit Bulls have, like it or not, become favorites of dog fighters and wanna be tough guys and thugs, and they want a mean dog. Think it enhances their image. And so every time you turn around you read where some Pit Bull mauled a kid. Probably happens with every breed, even Labs, and lots of times the kid probably deserved that and more, but the news people are going to jump right on any Pit Bull story. Like a traffic accident fatality versus a shooting. I think a large portion of the Pit Bull gene pool has been screwed up by the bad guys, and I wouldn't have one, but if you love yours I can understand that too. My cousin is one of the great Pit Bull champions, but she about had a fit when her son was looking to get one around her two little grand kids. Hypocrisy of the highest order. I told her to tell him to get a small dog so when it inevitably bites one of the little spoiled brats it will leave a smaller scar.