Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Looking to purchase my first shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to purchase my first shotgun

Hey guys, as the title says, I'm interested in getting a shotgun, and I want to hear whatever opinions or hopefully experience you guys can throw my way.

Let me start by giving you my situation. I'm a 20 year old college student, and I live in an apartment with roommates who I fully trust. The area of town I live in is not great, so after many months of thought on the subject, I've decided to purchase a shotgun. Primarily, it'll be used for home defense, and kept unloaded in my apartment. However, if I'm gonna get it, I'll want to have some fun with it too, so let's say light range use... I can't imagine more than 50 shells a month. I'd like to spend, if possible, no more than $350.

So it'll have to be
A) Reasonably reliable
B) Relatively short barrel (18"-24"? You guys tell me what you'd go with), and
C) I would prefer something with a buttstock. I'm not comfortable with firing a shotgun that has no stock, as the only long guns I've ever fired had stocks.

So, what would you purchase in my situation, and why?

Another question... I currently live in Tallahassee, FL, where I'm studying, but I am originally from Maryland, and my driver's license is MD. Will I need to get a Florida driver's license to purchase the firearm? I can prove residence with transcripts and utility bills, etc. I've never purchased a firearm before so I don't know what the process entails.

My apologies for such a long post, but I wanted to provide you with the best description so that you could provide me with your best ideas.

Thanks a bunch in advance, I'm looking forward to your replies.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #2

Default Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

These would be the best ones to choose from...Dress em out like you want...But I would just keep it stock...I'm getting the 870 w/extended mag....If I can find one...lol... Also, living in a dorm, I would be sure to get ammo that won't pentitrate the thin walls of a dorm room....WhiteWolf

Last edited by WhiteWolf4; 01-17-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have to say that a shotgun is probably one of the worst choices for your living situation. Other members of the house, you don't plan on keeping it loaded, even though you live in "The area of town I live in is not great" and you aren't familiar with the shotgun in the first place.

That all equals a big check mark in the negative column for me -

HOWEVER:

If you are looking for a good, reliable shotgun that isn't going to cost you a ton of cash and will treat you right, I agree with WhiteWolf

Remington 870

Mossberg 500

Either one with an 18" barrel for home, room to room work

Plenty of aftermarket parts available

cheap, reliable and time proven designs.

Personally I like the 870 over the 500, but that is a personal choice.

I woud HIGHLY recommend you take a look at some other choices, or at the very least, plan on doing some extensive training with the weapon to get to know how dangerous that thing really is. Especially at close range like a hallway or across a standard living room...

JD

Old 01-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the honest response JD. I absolutely trust the other members of the house not to go near the weapon. I understand why you would say it is not a good choice though. However, the only reason I plan on keeping it empty is precisely due to what you said. I'm not adequately familiar with weapon, at least in my opinion, to keep it loaded. I would however keep live ammunition where I could access it, but not until I felt I was adequately trained with the weapon. Keep in mind, my room is solely for me, and unless I am home, my roommates have absolutely no access to the weapon, or any other of my belongings, since I have a deadbolt locked door to my bedroom.
To be honest, sport shooting is also a big part of the decision. I really miss the great times I used to have at the range, and I want that back.
And to whitewolf, I live in an apartment, not a dorm, so we have good walls and plenty of space. You are right though, safety certainly comes first, especially with firearms, so I would be using really light ammo.

Last edited by capncrunch926; 01-17-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I have to say that a shotgun is probably one of the worst choices for your living situation. Other members of the house, you don't plan on keeping it loaded, even though you live in "The area of town I live in is not great" and you aren't familiar with the shotgun in the first place.

That all equals a big check mark in the negative column for me -

HOWEVER:

If you are looking for a good, reliable shotgun that isn't going to cost you a ton of cash and will treat you right, I agree with WhiteWolf

Remington 870

Mossberg 500

Either one with an 18" barrel for home, room to room work

Plenty of aftermarket parts available

cheap, reliable and time proven designs.

Personally I like the 870 over the 500, but that is a personal choice.

I woud HIGHLY recommend you take a look at some other choices, or at the very least, plan on doing some extensive training with the weapon to get to know how dangerous that thing really is. Especially at close range like a hallway or across a standard living room...

JD
Have you seen that Nighthawk has recently jumped into the custom 870 market? They're about 3 times the price of the Scattergun Tech units, but they've got a lot of hand fit parts in them. The action is hand honed to fit into the receiver butter smooth.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Have you seen that Nighthawk has recently jumped into the custom 870 market? They're about 3 times the price of the Scattergun Tech units, but they've got a lot of hand fit parts in them. The action is hand honed to fit into the receiver butter smooth.
I have, and they are getting into the Model 700 boltgun market too. Both are impressive units and Nighthawk does quality work, of which they stand behind.

I am not surprised, they set out to build what they knew ( 11 members of former 1911 custom houses ) and had plans to become THE custom house for several common firearms.

Expect an AR in 2009 - depending on which way the AWB falls...

JD