Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Looking to get a shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/looking-get-shotgun-57573/)

chevyman98 02-12-2012 09:10 PM

Looking to get a shotgun

I'd like to me a shotgun and like to get yalls input on them as I'm not familiar with them. I use to shoot my dads mossburg 12 gauge and loved it. It was a beautiful real wood stock with a neat design. After he passed my older brother got it and done who know what with it. I'd like to try and find out what it is but without the gun I know it's hard to tell. Anyways I'd like to get back into skeet shooting and dove hunting maybe even duck hunting but mainly skeet and dove. What are yall suggestions.

fatmidgets 02-12-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyman98
I'd like to me a shotgun and like to get yalls input on them as I'm not familiar with them. I use to shoot my dads mossburg 12 gauge and loved it. It was a beautiful real wood stock with a neat design. After he passed my older brother got it and done who know what with it. I'd like to try and find out what it is but without the gun I know it's hard to tell. Anyways I'd like to get back into skeet shooting and dove hunting maybe even duck hunting but mainly skeet and dove. What are yall suggestions.

What is your price range?

chevyman98 02-12-2012 09:32 PM

I'm trying to stay under $600 if I can get a good shotgun for that price.

Chainfire 02-12-2012 09:33 PM

In my opinion, about as good as it gets is a Remington 870. If you are on a tight budget you can probably find one used for around $200-$250. If you are buying a used one, try to find a "Wingmaster" as opposed to a "Wingmaster Magnum Express". Both are good guns but the Wingmaster is a little gooder.

chevyman98 02-12-2012 09:42 PM

Yeah I was looking at the wingmaster online and seems like it has good reviews. When buying a used shotgun what is is Main thing to look at. I have never bought a gun used.

Gatoragn 02-12-2012 09:47 PM

If you want an auto loader, check out Stoeger. Stoeger is made by Beretta.

Lots of good used guns for $600 or less.

Chainfire 02-12-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyman98 (Post 706598)
Yeah I was looking at the wingmaster online and seems like it has good reviews. When buying a used shotgun what is is Main thing to look at. I have never bought a gun used.

Your best bet is to buy from a reliable gun shop who will warranty that the gun is functional (and not hot). You will pay a bit more, but if you are concerned about getting burned, it will be worth it. These guns are so reliable, not much goes wrong with them that someone with minimal tool skills cant fix, or replace the parts.

chevyman98 02-12-2012 10:46 PM

What should I look for as far as barrel length. My guess would be a shorter barrel is more tactical/home defense. A longer would be more for hunting/skeet, correct?

Virginian 02-12-2012 10:48 PM

Stoeger is owned by the Beretta holdings group. They are not built by Beretta.

Buckethead47 02-13-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyman98 (Post 706564)

Most common mossberg is the 500 I've seen some pretty wood furniture on them. If your looking for the nostalgia thats where is start. good reliable gun too.I'm partial to the 870. Both are good shotguns all around.