Looking For a Double Barrel... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Looking For a Double Barrel...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Perhaps the least expensive SXS (a Chevy, if you would) are some of the Stevens guns. However, with some luck you can also pick up a used Fox Sterlingworth for well under a grand. Start lusting after Purdeys, and it's a whole 'nother game.

Grew up with a twose hole shootsgun- and I just like the way they swing. Got a little bit of everything- but I like my SXS's for quail and dove.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

buckhuntr Likes This 
Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

stoegers i think are made in argentina. cz's are turkish. the turks supply a lot of different companies with SxS the cz's are made better than other types from the same supplier

you can disable the reset on stoegers pretty easy its a very common mod in cas. they still retain the normal on off operation.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2398 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

If you can find one, A Ruger Red Label. There are a couple on Gun Broker.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #14

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex
I have and love a Browning Citori.
Obtainable in pre experienced condition for your price range....
The over/under is a traditionally high end design...not unlike mid engine cars...
You can buy a low priced Fierro or Corvair, but Ferrari, Lotus, and Lamborghini take the design to a different level.

I chose to land somewhere in between a Yldiz and a Perazzi...(in between a Fierro and a Countach) and Browning offered quality and some pedigree for an obtainable price.

Good luck and bust those birds!
I have seen a couple of Citori shotguns in that range used of course in good shape.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
If you can find one, A Ruger Red Label. There are a couple on Gun Broker.
i forgot about the Ruger Red series of O/U's as they were discontinued a few years ago. really nice pointing shotguns too. not for sure how they compare to the Brownings though.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 799

I don't know if stoeger has addressed the issue or not. At a very busy skeet range there were several reports of stoegers with bulged barrels. I seldom go to that shooting club. We never see a stoeger at our club. I would visit a busy skeet range and ask around before buying a stoeger double barrel.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #17

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can go from the inexpensive Turkish shotguns from Huglu and Yildiz to the Berettas and Merkels in new S x S. The Turkish companies also make O/U in the same lower price ranges, and of course, you can get into Beretta, Kolar, Browning, Blaser, Perazzi, Ceasar Guerini, etc. level shotguns in O/U.

Your best cost/performance/quality will be in a used gun as already recommended. A quality Browning can usually be found in the $1,000 area.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #18

Liked 158 Times on 119 Posts

Make sure you look at some and handle some before dropping your coin. I still say stick with used Berettas and Brownings. They aren't the most popular for no reason. Both are good, but to me they feel entirely different, and I definitely prefer the Beretta. As you have noted others here prefer Browning. Try to hit some gun shows and peruse GunBroker and Guns America to get a feel for how the prices are running.
If you are used to a repeater, an O/U will probably point better for you. I grew up with SxSs and still love a good one, but I shoot better these days with an 1100 or a Wingmaster. When I used to shoot a lot, I could switch around seamlessly, but no more. Takes me at least 35 to 50 shots to get back in the groove with the SxS.

What could have happened... did.

Last edited by Virginian; 10-10-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #19

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

I too love the over-unders. Back in the late '60's I could have bought a Winchester Model 101 Skeet gun for $399.00. They were one of the first with a more meaty front stock - wider than most and very beautiful finish. Myself (like Virginian) like Remington - Model 1100 on top, Model 870 second:

Others:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/guns/shotguns/double-guns/2012/11/best-over-under-shotguns-less-1000

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 10-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #20

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

I have a few 'utilty' grade SxSs, Stevens 311s and Springfield 5100. They handle very well and shoot great, every time. Auto safety as well. They are by no means fancy, they just work. As they were intended to. They can normally be found from $250-400.
I would also like a nice O/U. A buddy has a Red Label and a Citori. Both are very nice. I like the Red Label a little better but its also heavier than his Citori. I have looked at and handled the Stoeger Condor and didnt care for the way it felt or shouldered.