Looking For a Double Barrel...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Looking For a Double Barrel...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Default Looking For a Double Barrel...

OK, the bug has bitten me again to get a double barrel shotgun. I am liking the over an under, want one that is well made, but not expensive. Not ruling out a SxS. Which, unless you just get lucky finding one, does not exist, from what I have read. What would brands/models would you recommend?

I am well aware of the cry once stuff. I would rather put it off for a year and save up instead of buying one now, then buying a better one later on.

Any ideas? I have never shot one, I have a 870 Wingmaster. I am thinking sub $1k, used is fine, even one that has been well used or rough looking is OK, as long as the right parts work.

I am sure this has been asked before. I just know nothing about them, have no brand affinity so far. I am pretty familiar with pistols, rifles, and pump shotguns, but have no knowledge on what to look for, or watch out for, when it comes to the double barrel scatterguns.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #2

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

Cheap and two barrels does not bode well for a great outcome. Look for a used Beretta or Browning, depending on which you like. Now all the cheap O/U lovers can come on and tell you how great they are.

What could have happened... did.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Cheap and two barrels does not bode well for a great outcome. Look for a used Beretta or Browning, depending on which you like. Now all the cheap O/U lovers can come on and tell you how great they are.
Kinda like a discount Ed Brown 1911... They don't exist. So, what is the price point for a decent used double? If I have to, will save up for a couple of years... Been there, done that enough times to know that sometimes, a gun is not in my budget. Yet.

Oh, and the use of said gun would be dove hunting and perhaps some skeet, most likely 12 guage.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1037 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 452

I have and love a Browning Citori.
Obtainable in pre experienced condition for your price range....
The over/under is a traditionally high end design...not unlike mid engine cars...
You can buy a low priced Fierro or Corvair, but Ferrari, Lotus, and Lamborghini take the design to a different level.

I chose to land somewhere in between a Yldiz and a Perazzi...(in between a Fierro and a Countach) and Browning offered quality and some pedigree for an obtainable price.

Good luck and bust those birds!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #5

So, is a SxS a bit less expensive, or not? Any disadvantage to a SxS vs OU?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1037 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G
So, is a SxS a bit less expensive, or not? Any disadvantage to a SxS vs OU?
Laymans opinion here......

O/U offers one target bead for arial shots...
SxS offers a level sight orientation for both barrels...better for ground based foul that will launch upward in presentation.

Any multi barrel shotgun can be a true pleasure to own...but I shoot a semi much better for birds and clay.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 10-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
Laymans opinion here......

O/U offers one target bead for arial shots...
SxS offers a level sight orientation for both barrels...better for ground based foul that will launch upward in presentation.

Any multi barrel shotgun can be a true pleasure to own...but I shoot a semi much better for birds and clay.

Interesting info. This puts me back into the OU gun. Owned a Rem 1100, great gun, just want the double for some reason.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
Interesting info. This puts me back into the OU gun. Owned a Rem 1100, great gun, just want the double for some reason.
nothing wrong with wanting something. i have to agree with Truggie on the Brownings. very high quality shotguns for the price. a pure pleasure to shoot as well. i have owned a couple in the past and shot quite a bit of sporting clays with them. IMO, probably the least expensive, high quality O/U shotgun available. taken care of they can be passed down to your grandchildren. lots of choices in the Browning line-up on O/U shotguns too. a used Browning is still a worthwhile investment too.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

ive got two SxS 12ga one is a double hammer double trigger coach i use for cowboy action shooting. the other is my birdgun single trigger no external hammers. both are cz one is a ringneck

HIGHLY recomend them.

you can also get stoeger coach and stoeger longer barreled SxS but they are very hit or miss on both barrels in time with each other and chambers really need to be honed to drop empties correctly.

one thing you DONT do is have the action loosened so they break open easier. its unfortunately an extremely common thing people do thinking they are improving the action. all they have done is shaved about 20,000 rounds off the lifespan of the gun...

back to the stoeger they tend to need work as in chamber honing and possibly barrel alignment which cant always be fixed. if your just busting basic skeet or popping steel in cas its not a big deal. the safety on stoegers also resets everytime you open it.

over unders are easier to build where both barrels are in time so they tend to be cheaper than a well built SxS. i just like SxS they are classier. everyone has ou but a nice SxS really stands out as they arent that common.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive got two SxS 12ga one is a double hammer double trigger coach i use for cowboy action shooting. the other is my birdgun single trigger no external hammers. both are cz one is a ringneck

HIGHLY recomend them.

you can also get stoeger coach and stoeger longer barreled SxS but they are very hit or miss on both barrels in time with each other and chambers really need to be honed to drop empties correctly.

one thing you DONT do is have the action loosened so they break open easier. its unfortunately an extremely common thing people do thinking they are improving the action. all they have done is shaved about 20,000 rounds off the lifespan of the gun...

back to the stoeger they tend to need work as in chamber honing and possibly barrel alignment which cant always be fixed. if your just busting basic skeet or popping steel in cas its not a big deal. the safety on stoegers also resets everytime you open it.

over unders are easier to build where both barrels are in time so they tend to be cheaper than a well built SxS. i just like SxS they are classier. everyone has ou but a nice SxS really stands out as they arent that common.
i have the Stoeger O/U and the safety on it does the same thing. who makes the SXS for Stoeger as they are the importer?

my O/U is made by E.R. Amantino out of Brazil. not a bad shotgum, but definately no Browning Citori by any means.