You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Looking for a choice 1st time shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a choice 1st time shotgun

I just shot trap and a shotgun for the 2nd time in my life tonight and it was sweet. So now I want to get my first shotgun. I shot a 1978 Remington 3200 over under which was like a radar and then shot Benelli auto which took me some getting used after the over under. Anyway, I would like your opinions on a solid choice beginner shotgun to shoot clays, etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #2

I think the choice would depend on your budget. You can buy a quality shotgun for less if you buy it used. As a beginner this would probably be the thing to do. You will go through several guns before you find what you like to shoot. I like the long barrels to shoot targets. A 30 or 32" would be ideal. For trap most people like a high rib. Find a gun with a high and low rib; once you get into the sport you may end up shooting skeet and sporting clays you'd want a lower rib for these. You want a gun that you can use for any of these disciplines by making small adjustments. You will be better off with a full set of chokes, but at minimum you will need a skeet, IC and Mod to start. I shoot two guns a Beretta Teknys Gold semi and a Browning special edition sporting. The brand is not the important factor, you'd want a gun that fits you well. Fittings can get expensive if there are a lot of modifications to make, that's why it's best to start with a gun that requires minimum adjustments to fit you. Again, all this starts with considering your budget first. An experienced shooter at your club should be able to help. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

Liked 1842 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 1992

Rem. 870 Wing Master all the way for trap !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

how much do you want to spend rem 870 or even mossburg 500 with 28 barrel and mod or full choke are great for trap if you want to move into sporting or skeet you need an auto or ou.thay can be shot with a pump BUT your score will suffer

Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use my Remington 58 Sportsman 16 gauge that dates back to the 50's/60's. I strongly recommend an 870 Express.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #6

You'll never go wrong with Rem 870. I still use the one my mom gave my dad for their first Chrismas. 1950, wheny dad shot trap and skeet every weekend. Probably 10-15k rounds. Still shoots true and operates smooth.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Remington 870 Wingmaster all the way...

Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22399 Times on 12495 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izenrok View Post
I just shot trap and a shotgun for the 2nd time in my life tonight and it was sweet. So now I want to get my first shotgun. I shot a 1978 Remington 3200 over under which was like a radar and then shot Benelli auto which took me some getting used after the over under. Anyway, I would like your opinions on a solid choice beginner shotgun to shoot clays, etc.
check out the Stoeger Condor line of shotguns. IMO, way underated. not as high dollar as some of the other O/U's i have had in the past, but a really nice shooting gun. i bought one several months ago, and the more i shoot it, the more i like it. i have shot sporting clays with a remington 870 years ago, but i prefer an O/U for sporting clays. that's just a personal preference of mine.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #9

Default first shotgun

lots of used guns around if someone will help you screen for quality -- pumps and over/unders especially since less likely to be worn out then a semi-auto. O/U guns also don't throw the shells for you to pick up and/or bother the adjacent shooter. For trap you are looking for weight (at least 8-10 lbs) and barrel length (30-34"). Brownings, Remingtons and Winchester are probably the most typical and most likely to hold their resale value. Have fun!