Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Looking for childhood shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/looking-childhood-shotgun-9655/)

Jastemo 01-05-2009 01:18 AM

Looking for childhood shotgun

I am trying to get information about a shotgun that I had back in high school (about 30 years ago)
I don't remember the make or model unfortunately. All that I remember was that it was a more of a slug rifle. It had a wooden stock, bolt action with two round clip (and one in the chamber), front and rear sights, full choke and a rifled barrel. I'm afraid I can't remember any more details. Any ideas?

BillM 01-05-2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jastemo (Post 59680)
I am trying to get information about a shotgun that I had back in high school (about 30 years ago)
I don't remember the make or model unfortunately. All that I remember was that it was a more of a slug rifle. It had a wooden stock, bolt action with two round clip (and one in the chamber), front and rear sights, full choke and a rifled barrel. I'm afraid I can't remember any more details. Any ideas?

Mossberg or Marlin. 12 gauge? Maybe a Mossberg 395? Might be
some version of the Marlin 55.

Did it have sling swivels? A REALLY long barrel and not much of a rear
sight? Marlin 55 goose gun.

It's highly unlikely that it had a rifled barrel 30 years ago, and it did not
have the combination of a rifled barrel and full choke!

Hit Gunbroker and Auction Arms, look at the Mossberg and Marlin
bolt action shotguns for sale, and see if anything looks familiar.

Virginian 01-15-2009 10:22 AM

I think BillM is on the right track. Either a Marlin or a Mossberg. I had a Mossberg 20 gauge. I am thinking either 183 or 185 Model.

matt g 01-15-2009 02:11 PM

Winchester 120 Youth.

Jastemo 04-02-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM (Post 59712)
Mossberg or Marlin. 12 gauge? Maybe a Mossberg 395? Might be
some version of the Marlin 55.

Did it have sling swivels? A REALLY long barrel and not much of a rear
sight? Marlin 55 goose gun.

It's highly unlikely that it had a rifled barrel 30 years ago, and it did not
have the combination of a rifled barrel and full choke!

Hit Gunbroker and Auction Arms, look at the Mossberg and Marlin
bolt action shotguns for sale, and see if anything looks familiar.

I have been looking at Gun Shows but without any luck. It did not have sling swivels and the barrel wasn't unusually long. The rear sight was adjustable, but after talking to my dad I don't think it had a full choke. He says the name that comes to mind when he thinks about it is seeing "Ithaca" on it. But it did have a rifled barrel, bolt action and a two or three round clip. I got into a little trouble in high school with some stupid stuff and was forced to sell it. Now I would dearly love to have it again.