Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   looking for a cheap 12 guage for home defence (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/looking-cheap-12-guage-home-defence-66517/)

bama357 06-16-2012 12:43 PM

looking for a cheap 12 guage for home defence

I'm visualy impared n lives in south st.louis and its getting a lil crazy round here looking for a cheap but reliable 12 guage but really don't know what I want or where to start looking for one can anyone assist me

SSGN_Doc 06-16-2012 12:53 PM

I may get a little personal here so tell me if I need to back off.

How visually impared are you?

Why are you wanting a shotgun as your chosen weapon?

How much experience do you have shooting or running a shotgun under stress?

What kind of living quarters do you have? (Appartment, House etc.)

Can you define a budget that you consider cheap?

mountainman13 06-16-2012 12:55 PM

Don't take offense those are good and important questions. Oh, welcome to FTF.

Okie_Mike 06-16-2012 01:10 PM

Just recently got the Pardner Pump 12ga from Cheaper Than Dirt. Less than $200 which includes shipping and the transfer. Solid piece imo.

HockaLouis 06-16-2012 01:47 PM

The Mossberg Maverick 88 12 ga. pump(s).
http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

Jpyle 06-16-2012 02:10 PM

Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Maverick 88 are reliable, basic pump guns that are well suited for home defense purposes.

Not knowing the degree of your visual impairment I have to agree with the other posts and ask, is a gun really a good choice? Not being glib or judgemental here but if there is a chance that you could accidently shoot and kill a neighbor, family member or any other innocent party because you could not identify them due to your impairment then the answer is a firm no. Perhaps a loud dog is a safer alternative.

Axxe55 06-16-2012 02:20 PM

i have to agree with JPyle and others who have said this. not being able to identify who you could possibly have to shoot at could have some bad results for everyone. granted everyone should be able to defend themselves, but if your vision is impaired enough, there might be better alternatives than a firearm.

bama357 06-16-2012 05:05 PM

I live alone n a apartment I just resently lost most of my vision bt can c lights and shadows growing up I used to duck hunt with my grandpa and grew up with a bneli..not sure what modle and I chose a shotgun because I'm formiluar whit how thay are set up and how they feel and I feel it would be better since bird shot spreads and any one who comes over knocks they don't just come in and my home was broken into recently

SSGN_Doc 06-16-2012 06:16 PM

Before shooting someone identifying them is really important as well as identifying their intent.

Also, Bird shot is pretty piss poor for defense (There's been some discussion on it recently, and thats been my side of the argument).

Another consideration is, that it is important to actually hit your target. And when I say hit your target I don't mean pepper with some stray pellets. A shotgun gets it's ability to wound from getting all of the pellets on the target when it somes to stopping human sized agressive targets. We could get into arguments over the symantics of what aiming a shotgun is but, the user of a shotgun has to make intentional effort to hit their target pretty centrally to ensure stops and avoid stray pellets missing the target and causing harm downrange.

A shotgun presents certain challenges when employed in a fighting role.

It is large and kind of heavy, especially when loaded. So, this can be an issue when trying to move in close quarters.

Keeping it fed takes more manipulation than a semi-auto pistol or rifle. Not many shotguns are as easy to recharge as simply slaping in another box magazine filled with rounds.

Ammo itself is large bulky and somewhat heavy.

Any round that will penetrate deep enough to get to major blood vessels will also penetrate walls. Getting to major blood vessels is the way to get someone to stop aside from hitting their central nervous system. Both require penetration.

Using a shotgun for defense in a stressful situation requires some practice. You already have a goo dbase if you are familiar with shotguns and have duck hunted, but there are few similarities in the way the shotgun is employed in each of these situations.

I'd see if there are good defensive gun instructors near you who could really help you with your specific needs and could train to your situation with regard to target ID, threat assessment, and manipulation of the firearm as a weapon in an apartment. It's a kind of tall order, but I would think seeking professional input would be really beneficial. IT would be hard to sit here on a computer and really assess your abilities.

I work on a submarine so, I know a bit about what can be done without being able to see but it seems like you have a very specific window of criteria to work within.

Big-Nasty 06-16-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis
The Mossberg Maverick 88 12 ga. pump(s).
http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

I agree. Seen one the other day in good condition for $140.