Longest Clay Pigeon Hit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Longest Clay Pigeon Hit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Longest Clay Pigeon Hit

I stumbled upon this video while I was on YouTube today. I want to call BS, but the set-up looked pretty real. If it is real, then I think it's pretty amazing. You be the judge.

-Matt

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Talk about handicap shooting!

Nice.

I hit a clay in a Trap League shoot at about 100 yards. I completely blew it on the uptake, recomposed myself, followed the bird down and dropped the 7-1/2 shot onto it. This all took so long -- to get out there, to fall, to fire, for the shot to hit... It burst about two feet from the ground.

The entire line stopped and started laughing. I was shooting a Mossberg 590 SP fitted with a PolyChoke, bayonet off: finally someone asked if I did it just to make them all look bad.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

That's one helluva shot, Hocka! It's more believable now that I have a heard an account from a fellow FTFer.

I wonder how far you have to lead the darn thing!?

-Matt

Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Actually, in my style and perhaps that of the guy in the video a little, it is hard to tell... He, maybe more than I, leaps to where the bird will be and follows the bird at matched speed (usually a rising and leaving bird). He has a sight picture and mirrors the bird's movement largely so the shot cloud has the same arc. I more "sweep" and fire when the bird will be where my shot will end up to meet it -- my barrel keeps moving in an exaggerated follow-thru arc (at least on fast-moving far-left and right birds.

Bottom line? Depending on the effective horizontal speed (could be zero, right?) and rising or falling speed, seeing as how the average bird is broken at 36 yards, it could be tens of feet of lead!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-28-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #5

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

I have seen Digweed before, and I don't know how he does it. I am not questioning his skills one bit, but I do not know how he gets a "pattern" out anywhere near that far. And a standard target load at that. I have seen him hit crossers at 90 yards like it was Skeet.
Many years ago, I spent thousands of dollars on barrel work and building handloads to be able to reliably shoot geese at maximum range. I had to find out what that range was. The 12 gauge patterns maxed out at 80 yards. I practiced shooting at clays at that range, thrown extra hard and fast. And he is right about having to figure in drop.
I fitted an optical red dot sight, which worked like a total champ - when the mount didn't screw up or the humidity got too high and fogged the lens. I bought an optical rangefinder and practiced range estimation. I would go out in the morning and estimate the local golf course geese flying over and check with the rangefinder. I got to where I would bet money within 5 yards.
I had to handload 1-1/2 ounce loads of nickle plated #7s to get a pattern good enough at that range that I felt confident I would not have clays flying thru the pattern. I missed more than once on my first shot that I hit quite a few with the second shot probably somewhere in the 90 to 95 yard range, but my hit probability on those was maybe 30%. Probably less - the good old days keep getting better.
But he hits a minimum 50% at over 100 yards. Like I said, I have really thought about it, and I just don't know how he does it.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

Yeah, he was pretty amazing. I figured that any 12ga couldn't keep a pattern beyond 75 yards let alone 100, but I guess this guy is just talented.

Maybe he has some sort of special choke?

-Matt

Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #7

Liked 709 Times on 554 Posts

we shoot 50 yds routinely at my club.
i use to shoot at a ca. club that had shoot offs at 75 plus to break ties and for bragging rights.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/