Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Long Tom Shotgun - over 100 yrs old (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/long-tom-shotgun-over-100-yrs-old-64032/)

captainbelly 05-08-2012 02:34 AM

Long Tom Shotgun - over 100 yrs old

2 Attachment(s)
Long Tom Shotgun - over 100 years old

I have a Long Tom Shotgun that was passed down to me. My Great Grandpa bought it USED in 1917 with a box of shells wired to the trigger guard. I have been searching for years on the history, worth, age, and basic info on this gun. I have heard that it isn't worth much because they are 'common'...however, I have NEVER seen it's double. (common?!). I've found posts that say it's worth ranges from $80 - $250, and had read many different brands. I'm at a loss for quality info. Can anyone give me some good info on this gun? THANKS

I put a more indepth video on you tube. I left comments open for your wisdom on this matter.

captainbelly 05-08-2012 02:45 AM

Take a look at the Long Tom

HockaLouis 05-08-2012 02:56 AM

I LOVE that gun. Thanks!

Buckethead47 05-08-2012 03:09 AM

To me it looked like it was a black powder gun. Which is not safe to shoot conventional ammo in. I say throw it up over the fire place and admire it.

captainbelly 05-08-2012 03:15 AM

indeed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckethead47 (Post 793639)
To me it looked like it was a black powder gun. Which is not safe to shoot conventional ammo in. I say throw it up over the fire place and admire it.

Yes.... I do remember grandpa telling me that the brass shell was filled with blackpowder. It hasn't been shot since my dad was a kid. Probably in the early 50's. It's only purpose is to be handed down each generation. My son will be the 5th. pretty cool. My dad gave it to me when I turned 25. It went on the wall.

tonydewar 05-08-2012 03:19 AM

well its old im guessing sold as a goose or duck gun .any markings on the water table?(the flats where the action and breech come together?)

tonydewar 05-08-2012 03:23 AM

how long is the brass shell ?

captainbelly 05-08-2012 03:27 AM

My dad use to call it a 'goose gun'. There are no other markings on it.... Not even a serial number

captainbelly 05-08-2012 03:28 AM

I'll let you know.

c3shooter 05-08-2012 03:31 AM

Well, your shotgun came from Sears. As did a LOT of guns back then. From 1905 to 1915, a Sears wholly owned business called Meriden (not Meridian as it is often misspelled) made the Long Tom for Sears & Roebuck. After 1915, and up into sometime in the 30s, they were made by the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company.

Your Long Tom was probably made for smokeless powder, HOWEVER- the length of shotshells was not always 2 and 3 quarters- and 100 years IS getting old. Please understand that just because an unfired shell will FIT, does not mean it is safe to shoot. Modern shells have a crimp that must have room to unfold- where the ALL brass shells did not.

Unless the zombies have chewed their way thru the front door, and all your other guns are inoperative, i would leave the Long Tom hanging in a place of honor.

PS- there are reprints of the early Sears Catalogs you may get thru your local library. The Long Tom is not is the 1896 catalog (a lot of other guns are, tho) but I THINK it may be in the 1906 catalog.