Locked Breach Unlocking

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Locked Breach Unlocking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Locked Breach Unlocking

Can anyone tell me what happened here? I was shooting my Mossberg 500 with an aftermarket 18” barrel with a 3” chamber. Firing 2 ¾ inch No. 6 target loads with 1 oz shot was no problem. Then I fired Remington 3 inch magnum 00 buckshot rounds. These were powerful. For four out of 5 buckshot rounds I fired, the locked breach blew open and ejected the spent shell. Everything seems OK with the barrel and all parts. The barrel fits well, fitting tight against the receiver. The barrel screw screws in tight to hold the barrel securely. When a 3” shell is chambered, the slide locks and cannot be pulled back. When the shotgun is turned upside down, I could even see the bolt rising and locking into the barrel recess. Any thoughts on how the action comes open? Is it locking but not securely? Are parts flexing? I’m at a loss for an explanation.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #2

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

It is probably functioning exactly as designed. When the hammer drops, the action is unlocked. Otherwise, what do you think unlocks the action so you can chamber another round? During recoil the inertia of the forend, bolt, etc., keeps the breech closed, but as the gun stops the action opens. My Wingmaster does the same think with any load if I don't hold on to the fore end. Winchester claims their Speed Pump is faster because it does it, too.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Makes some sense but still confused

This makes some sense but I’m still a little confused. Obviously the slide can’t be pulled back before the shot is taken but it can be after the trigger is pulled. But isn’t it still the slide that unlocks the bolt. I thought sort of like you did also so I did a little check. I got a large wooden dowel that fit down the barrel all the way to the breach face. Before the trigger is pulled, the bolt couldn’t be unlocked either by pushing on the dowel or by pulling on the slide. After the trigger is pulled, the bolt could still not be opened by pushing on the dowel (simulating the push from the shell being fired) but it could be opened by pulling on the slide. In other words, the bolt remains locked until you pull on the slide even after firing. This test seems to confirm the way I think the gun should work. It stays locked until you pull back on the slide, even after firing. What do you think?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

It is working properly.
Recoil moving the gun to the rear is stopped by your shoulder.
The inertia of the slide/forearm assembly being moved to the rear from the recoil is allowing the slide to unlock the breach and eject the shell. The same as if you pulled the slide to the rear with your hand. It has nothing to do with the shell pushing on the bolt face.
You probably wont see this happen with lighter loads due to the lighter recoil impulse.
All my shotguns do this with heavy loads and my Rem 7600 pump rifle in 35Whelen does it as well

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default OK. I get it now.

Now I understand what you both are saying. Makes perfect sense. What I was missing is that when your shoulder stops the gun, the inertia of the slide/bolt/moving parts keeps those parts moving and ejects the shell. Thanks a bunch. Now I won't be afraid anymore to fire this gun with heavy loads, except that is, for the nasty recoil that jars my teeth and brain (and prevents me from figuring this out).

Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Cool! Glad we could help. Now you see why a pump action can be operated so fast.

Now swing by the Introductions section and tell us a little
about yourself-- INTRO LINK----> http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2694 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The Winchester 1300 makes this tendancy into a marketing point. They have a spring that pushes the bolt carrier away from the bolt. When dry fired, the action will open slightly. When shooting a 1300 (or a well broken in 1200) with full power ammo (like 2 3/4" buckshot) one handed, the action will open and extract/eject the empty hull. A forward shake will close/lock the action on the next round. An ideal situation if you are in a gun fight with a disabled arm.

FWIW, 3" buckshot is just stupid. There is no real reason for it except to bruise your shoulder. Reduced recoil (tactical) buck shot kills just as dead.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #8

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
FWIW, 3" buckshot is just stupid. There is no real reason for it except to bruise your shoulder. Reduced recoil (tactical) buck shot kills just as dead.
Obviously you have never hunted deer with buckshot. Deer are about 10 times as tough as people. If they made 4" buckshot I would advise using that. I no longer deer hunt period, but I have some grim memories.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2694 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I would not hunt deer with "buckshot", period. I do not think it is humane. If I lived in a buckshot only area, I would not hunt in that area. I got the heck out of one such area and moved to TEXAS, by God.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shotguns and Deer

I grew up in the east (PA) but also lived in SC, NC, TX and NM. Texans have their heads screwed on straight. God bless Texas! Page 29 of the 2009 NJ Fish and Wildlife Digest allows hunting deer with a shotgun with buckshot as small as No. 4 (6 mm or 0.24", not the same as No. 4 birdshot). On page 24, it states that "Rimfire and centerfire rifles are not legal to hunt deer." Nonsense like that is why I moved west when I retired.