little help here? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > little help here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Slugs are OK through a skeet choke tube. You might get better patterns with the $4 Buck with Modified, but you need to pattern it to find out. I have taken coyotes at 65 yards with 000 Buck.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I would like to save as many of the pelts as I can so I was hoping to stay away from 000&00 buck shot...I figured #4 would be about as good as any...am I wrong? And thanks Robo, does anyone have a general rule as to how much constriction a skeet choke has as apposed to say a cylinder bore?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
OK, so Kentucky is making it legal for night hunting coyotes with shotguns because the problem is waaaaaay out of control. I had a Mossberg 500 with the full length tude and 20" cylinder bore barrel. I decided to sell it to a friend and just now picked up a TriStar 20" tactical semi auto 12 gauge. I wanted to keep the 20 inch barrel but wanted interchangeable chokes for hunting. I know a 20 inch barrel will make my yardage suffer, but I was hoping with decent choke tubes I could still get out to 40 or so yards with #4 buckshot (hornady varmint express). My question is this...the gun came with one choke tube (skeet) and I was wondering if it is safe to shoot slugs thru a skeet choke...? I don't know anything about the skeet choke tubes so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.
The 20 inch bbl will not reduce the range at all. No slugs through the screw in choke not specifically made for slugs. BB lead shot would be a good shot for yotes, good retained velocity and weight and good pattern density. #4 Buck may work, but check the patten at the ranges you intend to shoot with different chokes.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 09-30-2013 at 01:45 PM.
CaseyChadwell Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #14

Liked 306 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell
I would like to save as many of the pelts as I can so I was hoping to stay away from 000&00 buck shot...I figured #4 would be about as good as any...am I wrong? And thanks Robo, does anyone have a general rule as to how much constriction a skeet choke has as apposed to say a cylinder bore?
A skeet choke is a bit more open then an imp cyl choke. I shoot all of my slug out of my skeet choke unless I bring the rifled barrel.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

CaseyChadwell Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
The 20 inch bbl will not reduce the range at all. On slugs through the screw in choke not specifically made for slugs. BB lead shot would be a good shot for yotes, good retained velocity and weight and good pattern density. #4 Buck may work, but check the patten at the ranges you intend to shoot with different chokes.
Okay Jim, can you explain that to me? I have always been under the impression that with shorter barrels in a shotgun your range would suffer, from both a tightness to the pattern of the shot and the velocity the shot could get to in such a shorter barrel.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #16

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

The pattern is determined by the choke, not the length. After about 20" the velocity gain per inch falls off rapidly with modern powders. I haven't shot anything that short, but with heavy magnum loads the difference when you get in the 26" to 28" range is about 25 to 50 feet per second per inch. With black powder, longer barrels were needed to get the velocity, that's where that came from. Somebody is possibly going to jump in and say the powder is all burned in the first 18". Maybe, but all that pressurized gas is still trapped behind the charge, and it is still pushing on it. Otherwise it wouldn't go bang when it exits a 30" barrel.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Okay Jim, can you explain that to me? I have always been under the impression that with shorter barrels in a shotgun your range would suffer, from both a tightness to the pattern of the shot and the velocity the shot could get to in such a shorter barrel.
Shotguns use a small amount of fast burning powder, similar to a handgun. It actually 'burns' in the first few inches of bbl length (12 inches or less). And it has a 1:1 expansion ratio which means the pressure drops off rather fast. Unlike the rifle which has high chamber/bbl pressures the shotgun is a 'low' pressure gun thus the acceleration 'after the burn' is very limited and, again unlike the rifle, the projectile weight of a shotgun is high relative to the powder charge which limits the acceleration past the 18 inch mark.
So you will see very little velocity increase, even with heavy loads, past the 18 inch mark.
Also, when selecting a shot size for a shotgun you MUST consider only ONE pellet when the terminal effect is considered. In other words the penetration to get to the vitals has nothing to do with how many hits you get (pattern density), only the ability of the single pellet to cause an effective wound.
And, as stated above, the choke determines the pattern density, not the bbl length.
The difference between a 20 inch and 30 inch bbl is you are 10 inches closer to the target with the 30 inch bbl, nothing more.
Hope this helped,
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 09-30-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #18

Thank you for explaining. Never thought about the small powder charge a shell contains.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Casey: You can shoot slugs through a skeet choke without any problem. Skeet chokes utilize 0.002" to 0.006" constriction (depending on manufacturer) which is about 1/2 way between cylinder (no choke) and improved cylinder (0.007" to 0.013" constriction).

Standard Foster type slugs can be shot through any standard choke, however, full and improved modified chokes are generally not as accurate as more open chokes.

Sabot type Slugs are best shot through rifled barrels for which they are designed. They can be shot through regular barrels but accuracy suffers.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1869 Times on 1280 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Some loads will perform better in your gun than others. Lead BB shot is is just fine for coyote and most guns pattern very well with lead BB shot. Don't use steel shot made for duck hunting. If steel shot is all you can find I would use #4 buckshot.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

JimRau Likes This