little help here?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > little help here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Default little help here?

OK, so Kentucky is making it legal for night hunting coyotes with shotguns because the problem is waaaaaay out of control. I had a Mossberg 500 with the full length tude and 20" cylinder bore barrel. I decided to sell it to a friend and just now picked up a TriStar 20" tactical semi auto 12 gauge. I wanted to keep the 20 inch barrel but wanted interchangeable chokes for hunting. I know a 20 inch barrel will make my yardage suffer, but I was hoping with decent choke tubes I could still get out to 40 or so yards with #4 buckshot (hornady varmint express). My question is this...the gun came with one choke tube (skeet) and I was wondering if it is safe to shoot slugs thru a skeet choke...? I don't know anything about the skeet choke tubes so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Nope, nyet, nein. Well, actually, you can, but some slugs damage certain barrels. Also, accuracy suffers, which is a problem hunting those coyotes Find out from the gun and ammo company.

Last edited by Jagermeister; 09-29-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply sir, but I just realized I may not have made myself clear, sorry about that. I got rid of the 500 and got a TriStar semi auto with a 20" barrel. A neet looking little tactical job with interchangeable choke tubes. I shot slugs from the 500 all the time and loved it, but wanted a semi auto for hunting at night and figured this would be fun to try.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #4

I think the rule is going to be you can hunt with a shotgun using something other than single projectile ammunition. I haven't talked to the state fish and game yet, but I would say that will be it. I know the law states shotgun only, so I'm assuming I'll be using #4 buckshot from hornady. That's some mean stuff right there.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I accidentally put Mossberg, long day. I load buck and slugs (alternate) when I hunt boar and fox at the same time with my Mossy. I do realize you bought the new shotgun. I edited my response. My advice does not change though. Take it or leave. Enjoy the hunt.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have hunted fox with number 1 buck with great results. I bet it would work with the larger coyote. Knock them down right away.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

There's a few people/groups I listen to...when it comes to life its momma and Jesus and when it comes to firearms its anyone that knows more than me :-). I will be taking your advice, and thank you very much for giving it sir.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

I would definitely pattern the gun with whatever load you choose to use. I have had good results with an Improved Modified choke with both #4 Buck and Dead Coyote loads, but you never know until you shoot stuff in your gun. . Make sure your choke tune is steel rated if you decide to use the Dead Coyote tungsten alloy loads. They do pattern well and carry energy a long way.

What could have happened... did.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Dead Coyote Loads? Can you tell me more about this load? I do not get these over here, since we do not have Coyotes? Thanks, Virginian.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Dead Coyote Loads? Can you tell me more about this load? I do not get these over here, since we do not have Coyotes? Thanks, Virginian.
Made by Hevi Shot

http://www.bing.com/shopping/hevi-shot-dead-cyt-12-00-bk-5-20/p/C2D1C174F3D3A77A5020?q=hevi+shot&lpf=0&lpq=hevi%2b shot&FORM=ENCA