Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Shotgun Discussion (
-   -   little help here? (

CaseyChadwell 09-29-2013 06:21 PM

little help here?
OK, so Kentucky is making it legal for night hunting coyotes with shotguns because the problem is waaaaaay out of control. I had a Mossberg 500 with the full length tude and 20" cylinder bore barrel. I decided to sell it to a friend and just now picked up a TriStar 20" tactical semi auto 12 gauge. I wanted to keep the 20 inch barrel but wanted interchangeable chokes for hunting. I know a 20 inch barrel will make my yardage suffer, but I was hoping with decent choke tubes I could still get out to 40 or so yards with #4 buckshot (hornady varmint express). My question is this...the gun came with one choke tube (skeet) and I was wondering if it is safe to shoot slugs thru a skeet choke...? I don't know anything about the skeet choke tubes so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

Jagermeister 09-29-2013 06:23 PM

Nope, nyet, nein. Well, actually, you can, but some slugs damage certain barrels. Also, accuracy suffers, which is a problem hunting those coyotes Find out from the gun and ammo company.

CaseyChadwell 09-29-2013 06:39 PM

Thanks for your reply sir, but I just realized I may not have made myself clear, sorry about that. I got rid of the 500 and got a TriStar semi auto with a 20" barrel. A neet looking little tactical job with interchangeable choke tubes. I shot slugs from the 500 all the time and loved it, but wanted a semi auto for hunting at night and figured this would be fun to try.

CaseyChadwell 09-29-2013 06:42 PM

I think the rule is going to be you can hunt with a shotgun using something other than single projectile ammunition. I haven't talked to the state fish and game yet, but I would say that will be it. I know the law states shotgun only, so I'm assuming I'll be using #4 buckshot from hornady. That's some mean stuff right there.

Jagermeister 09-29-2013 06:46 PM

I accidentally put Mossberg, long day. :o I load buck and slugs (alternate) when I hunt boar and fox at the same time with my Mossy. I do realize you bought the new shotgun. I edited my response. My advice does not change though. :confused: Take it or leave. Enjoy the hunt.

Jagermeister 09-29-2013 06:56 PM

I have hunted fox with number 1 buck with great results. I bet it would work with the larger coyote. Knock them down right away.

CaseyChadwell 09-29-2013 07:16 PM

There's a few people/groups I listen to...when it comes to life its momma and Jesus and when it comes to firearms its anyone that knows more than me :-). I will be taking your advice, and thank you very much for giving it sir.

Virginian 09-29-2013 08:00 PM

I would definitely pattern the gun with whatever load you choose to use. I have had good results with an Improved Modified choke with both #4 Buck and Dead Coyote loads, but you never know until you shoot stuff in your gun. . Make sure your choke tune is steel rated if you decide to use the Dead Coyote tungsten alloy loads. They do pattern well and carry energy a long way.

Jagermeister 09-29-2013 08:06 PM

Dead Coyote Loads? Can you tell me more about this load? I do not get these over here, since we do not have Coyotes? Thanks, Virginian.

Gatoragn 09-29-2013 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1387710)
Dead Coyote Loads? Can you tell me more about this load? I do not get these over here, since we do not have Coyotes? Thanks, Virginian.

Made by Hevi Shot shot&FORM=ENCA