A little advise
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > A little advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 465 Times on 258 Posts

Default A little advise

So I'm in the market for a shotgun. Remington 870 or mosberg 500??? Either way will have ar style pistol grip. Thoughts??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #2

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

I went with mossberg,either are safe bets, I also did the whole pistol grip collapsible stock thing with my shotgun for a while there as well. I ended up putting a conventional stock back on it. For me the pistol grip really dies nothing for a shotgun,and the ergonomics are much better with the typical shotty stock IMO

Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Why do you want the pistol grip? Looks? I'd much rather buy a standard stocked mossberg and put the money saved towards ammo. That stuff isn't getting any cheaper and you're going to need to practice.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 12-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #4

Liked 143 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
I went with mossberg,either are safe bets, I also did the whole pistol grip collapsible stock thing with my shotgun for a while there as well. I ended up putting a conventional stock back on it. For me the pistol grip really dies nothing for a shotgun,and the ergonomics are much better with the typical shotty stock IMO
Same here and I wish I had a normal stock. The pg beats the crap our of your wrist and if you try to get a cheakweld it slams you in the face. I leave the skeet range looking like I got beat up sometimes. Which for all intensive purposes, I did.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #5

Remington 870 stainless steel marine model

Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #6

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Remington quality is third-world at this point IMO, however, for a true pitol grip the safety is in a better spot.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

There was a post here some time back by an attorney. He laid out what would happen to you in court if you were involved in a justified shooting. You will most likely be sued by the perpetrator or his family. He stressed what would happen in court if you use a tactical style shotgun with all kinds of aftermarket features like pistol grips etc. The attorney will crucify you to make you look bad to the jury. After all he was just trying to turn his life around and was the kindest guy you were ever attacked by. Get the standard stock, preferably wood and dont gimmick it up with sights and lights and lasers. Dont modify it because he will do and say anything to make you look like a blood thirsty killer who was laying in wait for his client to show up. I have a Nova with extended mag tube and sights. It is in the safe. I keep a 20 gauge double handy. No action keeps it short and it has a walnut stock. Easy to load and unload.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I read this kind of thing all the time. Can anyone document where that has ever actually been done JTJ? Anyone...!?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
There was a post here some time back by an attorney. He laid out what would happen to you in court if you were involved in a justified shooting. You will most likely be sued by the perpetrator or his family. He stressed what would happen in court if you use a tactical style shotgun with all kinds of aftermarket features like pistol grips etc. The attorney will crucify you to make you look bad to the jury. After all he was just trying to turn his life around and was the kindest guy you were ever attacked by. Get the standard stock, preferably wood and dont gimmick it up with sights and lights and lasers. Dont modify it because he will do and say anything to make you look like a blood thirsty killer who was laying in wait for his client to show up. I have a Nova with extended mag tube and sights. It is in the safe. I keep a 20 gauge double handy. No action keeps it short and it has a walnut stock. Easy to load and unload.
many states that have passed Castle Laws have provided no recourse for your attacker to file a civil lawsuit or his family against you if the shooting was justified. in other words, he took his chances breaking into your home and got shot, if he survives, he can't sue you for damages, if he dies in the course of a criminal act, then his family can't sue you for wrongful death.

so in reality, the firearm you choose to defend your home with is really irrelevent. because if the shooting was justified, then the firearm used will be of little importance, because it will never see the courthouse th begin with.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
many states that have passed Castle Laws have provided no recourse for your attacker to file a civil lawsuit or his family against you if the shooting was justified. in other words, he took his chances breaking into your home and got shot, if he survives, he can't sue you for damages, if he dies in the course of a criminal act, then his family can't sue you for wrongful death.

so in reality, the firearm you choose to defend your home with is really irrelevent. because if the shooting was justified, then the firearm used will be of little importance, because it will never see the courthouse th begin with.
True, many states have passed laws protecting the victim of a crime but many states have not. In states like CA and IL you can be pretty sure of going to court. How dare you defend yourself.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."