lever shotgun...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > lever shotgun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default lever shotgun...

im looking to buy my first shotgun, here in aus, we cant have semi-auto's or pump action, so im thinking about getting a lever action.
i want a lever because i like the idea of having a 5 round mag instead of having to break after 2. the purpose of this shotgun will be 'varmint hunting' because we cant have a firearm for the purpose of self/home defence.
i dont know that much about shotguns, so:
are lever shotguns worth the money?
what are best makes/models?
12g or 20g?
cheers.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have just gotten a M-87, reproduction of a Winchester 1887 lever action shotgun and to put it bluntly….. I LOVE IT. I bought it for Cowboy Action Shooting and she shoots like a dream. Five rounds in the magazine, one round in the feeding ramp and one round in the chamber for a total of 7 rounds. Now that’s what I call fun. Look at the post “Cowboy Action Shooting Shotgun” and you can see some pictures I have posted. The shotgun I bought is made by Norinco in China but is extremely well made and a great shooter.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You know when I started hunting I'd load as many into the magazine as I could, although, if I didn't hit the game on the second shot I was almost always wasting ammo. Now I never load any more than two in a shotgun no matter what action I'm using, unless of course, it's a single shot. Also in my old age it easier to keep track of how many times I've fired when only loading two rounds which also makes me safer. More is not always better IMHO. Good luck, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Depending on the varmint and how good a shot you are, more is better.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #5

CA357,
the 'varmint hunting' is whats going to be written down on the permit to acquire that certain firearm.
it will most probably never see varmint hunting use.
i just was a shotgun. something about 5 rounds that scatter instead of the 3 rounds that the mag on my t3 308 takes is more apealing to me .

Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yup, that's what I said. Depending on the varmint ...

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #7

Every body knows those Aussie groundhogs can take 4 blasts in-stride. Its the 5th that makes all the difference

No really, more is almost always better... Especially when someone breaks into your home and your 12-gauge Varmint gun is involved

Old 10-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #8

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
You know when I started hunting I'd load as many into the magazine as I could, although, if I didn't hit the game on the second shot I was almost always wasting ammo. Now I never load any more than two in a shotgun no matter what action I'm using, unless of course, it's a single shot. Also in my old age it easier to keep track of how many times I've fired when only loading two rounds which also makes me safer. More is not always better IMHO. Good luck, Joe
I,m with Joe on this one. If you take a pair of varmints in full flight by the time you have chambered your second round it is usualy too late.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_andonovski View Post
im looking to buy my first shotgun, here in aus, we cant have semi-auto's or pump action, so im thinking about getting a lever action.
i want a lever because i like the idea of having a 5 round mag instead of having to break after 2. the purpose of this shotgun will be 'varmint hunting' because we cant have a firearm for the purpose of self/home defence.
i dont know that much about shotguns, so:
are lever shotguns worth the money?
what are best makes/models?
12g or 20g?
cheers.
If I had to chose between the M-87 and a SxS..........I wud go with the M-87

My personal choice is the winy M-97....but due to Little Johnny Howard. that is out of your reach.

Have fired the M-87, both an original and a repo, did not like the way the stock came to my shoulder, nor the difficulty of topping up the mag during firing a course.

Use to live in Melbourne(Epping) and use to shoot at the Corrections Service range in a quarry there.............take care out there mate............